Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after I have been in and out of my 01's carbs about 10 times now with trying different jets, I have a few tips to add to the tips and tricks section. First, I never even touch the radiator. My best tool has been a 10 inch phillips head screw driver, size two. So this is what I do, sorry I dont know all the part names. First, remove side panels and seat. Lift tank. Pull off the airbox. Okay, now disconnect the electrical harness on the right side of the carbs, pull of the hose from the fuel tank, and pull the choke cable free from its little holder. Stuff a rag under the carbs to catch fuel. Next, I remove one of the hoses that fits into the T section between the carbs. I pull off the one on the right hand side of the bike,(it has a little clamp holding it on there) watch for gas. Next, I use my long screw driver to loosen the screws that hold the carbs to the engine. The rear is easy, it is the front one that I use the long screw driver for. I just go in at it through an opening in the fairing on the right side. You may want a flashlight to see the screw. By now the carb can be pulled free. Notice I did nothing with the radiator nor with the throttle cables. There is enough play in the cable to do any work that you need to. I even drilled out the idle mixture screw with this method. (all opening covered of course) Now, with my desnorkeled 01 I am running 147.5 Mikuni mains at 2500 ft elevation in sunny and HOT Tucson. I sure hope I dont have to go in there again. Hope this helps someone.

r

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you follow the link in the tips and tricks section, it is suggested to remove the horn and radiator bolts. Then wiggle the radiator down a bit to get to the clamp screws that I use my long phillips head for. This adds a lot of extra time and work in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Couln't agree more. That's a really daft way of doing it. I've always done it more or less as you do- except I remove hte throttle cables since I like to get the carbs on the bench to mess with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts