Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
You can get away with a rigged setup like that on a 2 cylinder bike. If you have 3+ then you'll need mercury sticks or something else.

Be careful when you do it. Apparently some people accidentally suck in some of the fluid they use and that can be VERY BAD for an engine.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
You can get away with a rigged setup like that on a 2 cylinder bike. If you have 3+ then you'll need mercury sticks or something else.

Incorrect. It'll actually work the same. You can even use this set up on an 8 cylinder engine, or twelve, or sixteen...You'll just set two together, call one your baseline, and then set all the others to that one.

Define rigged set up, please. Does "rigged" mean it's not a pretty, store-bought model?

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Incorrect. It'll actually work the same. You can even use this set up on an 8 cylinder engine, or twelve, or sixteen...You'll just set two together, call one your baseline, and then set all the others to that one.

Define rigged set up, please. Does "rigged" mean it's not a pretty, store-bought model?
Ok you are correct, you can use that on ANY engine, but it will probably take longer and be a bigger pain.

Rigged means homemade, I reckon. I only put that on there because I got yelled at in another thread about using the "correct tool" for the job. My thinking is that hey, this is simple science. The engine doesn't care if I spent $5 or $100 on the tool I'm using. The vacuum won't change if I'm using mercury, or oil, or water, or a carbtune or gauges, or whatever.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Apparently some people accidentally suck in some of the fluid they use and that can be VERY BAD for an engine.
Another reason why I chose to make the one I did, less chance of motor oil being sucked up into the hoses.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Man this makes me enjoy having the right tools.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I used to have one of these for my ZR-7s. These do not have mercury or any other kind of liquid. it has solid metal rods that move instead so there is no chance of them getting sucked into the carb. Makes it more durable too. I bought mine directly from carb -tune and took about a week for it to arrive. Also the price is a bit less now thanks to a slightly stronger dollar.
http://www.carbtune.com/

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I used to have one of these for my ZR-7s. These do not have mercury or any other kind of liquid. it has solid metal rods that move instead so there is no chance of them getting sucked into the carb. Makes it more durable too. I bought mine directly from carb -tune and took about a week for it to arrive. Also the price is a bit less now thanks to a slightly stronger dollar.
http://www.carbtune.com/
Dang it! When I bought mine it was around $110!

Everyone seems to rave about the carbtune, it actually works really well. I'm quite pleased with it.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Man this makes me enjoy having the right tools.
Yeah but that's allot of money for tools that most don't use to often. If you've got 3 or 4 bikes and do all the work yourself fine but those $60-$150 tools start to add up for more complex repairs.

But this 2 gauge one seem perfect for our SVs and it's only $26 + $9 s/h

==> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carburetor-Synchronizer-carb-sync-Gauge-2-cylinder-bike_W0QQitemZ330311152516QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Automotive_Tools?hash=item330311152516&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting

:))

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just picked up the tool Nexus posted about a week ago - worked great

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Ok you are correct, you can use that on ANY engine, but it will probably take longer and be a bigger pain.

Rigged means homemade, I reckon. I only put that on there because I got yelled at in another thread about using the "correct tool" for the job. My thinking is that hey, this is simple science. The engine doesn't care if I spent $5 or $100 on the tool I'm using. The vacuum won't change if I'm using mercury, or oil, or water, or a carbtune or gauges, or whatever.
Ah, cool. I thought you were hatin' on homemade stuff.

lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts