Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the crazy SDTV fuel injection really P****S me off. There was a discussion about it a while back( 1 or more years ago ) And everyone said the FI was a joy to adjust programming wise compared to carbs but has anyone played with ALL of the available mechanical adjustments that can be done to the Sensors/throttle bodies? I have, and they are a B****.
So my question to you, the SVrider community, IS... ... Who has successfully swapped to carbs without changing the whole wiring harness/ecu? I hope I'm not going to be the first to try it... ( I'd like to be able to ride this year!). Don't get me wrong I love fuel injection, but this system uses the standard tech of the 80's. Give me a MAP controlled or speed density system and now we're talking.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
I have a 1st gen wiring harness, igniter box, carbs, air box etc... if you want to try :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the main reason is more power, less concerned about idle quality and fuel consumption. Plus I will be making a custom exhaust for it and my chances of finding a good PC3 map are slim. I am also GREAT at tuning carbs, spent alot of time under the hood of my old chevy, so when it comes to bikes those teeny little carbs are sooo easy to adjust and get dialed in. I also work in the electronics industry, so I know cheap sensors and servos when I see them. That dual throttle valve is waay more complicated than it needs to be. Was even lookin into fabbin' my own Fi system using a MegaSquirt controller and the stock injectors, minus the upper butterfly assy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have a Dealer service manual that shows the proper steps to set up SDTV from scratch?

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Well the main reason is more power, less concerned about idle quality and fuel consumption. Plus I will be making a custom exhaust for it and my chances of finding a good PC3 map are slim. I am also GREAT at tuning carbs, spent alot of time under the hood of my old chevy, so when it comes to bikes those teeny little carbs are sooo easy to adjust and get dialed in. I also work in the electronics industry, so I know cheap sensors and servos when I see them. That dual throttle valve is waay more complicated than it needs to be. Was even lookin into fabbin' my own Fi system using a MegaSquirt controller and the stock injectors, minus the upper butterfly assy.
There are better ways to get more power, but don't expect a big gain.
If you want a custom exhaust then you can get a custom map.
I don't have a link for the OEM manual.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I just saw your thread and there isn't a comment thread for it, so I'm posting here.

Nice swap, don't think I've seen someone do that before - most people who put carbs on 2nd gens use FCRs.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Keep in mind, your old truck was 6 or 8 cylinders with a 2 or 4 barrel carb, making for a more forgiving setup. Setting an average compromise for them to happily share the air fuel mix, is a little different than 2 cylinders and separate carbs for each cylinder.

But hey, maybe flatslides are the way to go. :naughty::vroom:

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Keep in mind, your old truck was 6 or 8 cylinders with a 2 or 4 barrel carb, making for a more forgiving setup. Setting an average compromise for them to happily share the air fuel mix, is a little different than 2 cylinders and separate carbs for each cylinder.

But hey, maybe flatslides are the way to go. :naughty::vroom:
I see it differently: with a single carb feeding multiple cylinders, you get varying AFRs and need to pick something that'll work ok for every hole.

For a carb per hole, you can easily tune them individually.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I doubt you'll get any more power. Just harder starting, more fuel system maintenance, more mechanical stuff to break, and lower fuel economy.

If you want to do it for fun, by all means, but don't expect any actual benefit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts