Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
The problem stems from a new “cool paints” initiative from the California Air Resources Board. CARB wants to mandate the phase-in of heat-reflecting paints on vehicle exteriors beginning with the ’12 model year, with all colors meeting a 20% reflectivity requirement by the ’16 model year

coincidently 20% reflectivity is what it takes for lidar to return a signal

sounds to me like a BS excuse to help the quicky developing police state

do you think they will allow black cars purchased out of state with 7500 miles, similar to the emission regulation

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
sounds to me like a BS excuse to help the quicky developing police state
Sometimes, Randy, I feel like you're just one tinfoil hat away from full membership in the Granite State Militia and Wacko Society. But on this one, I think you're spot - on!! :worship:

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I am not a tin foil hat haver usually but I think I will go downstairs and construct one for this...something is funny here.

OR its possible they are trying to reduce need for AC and somehow increase efficiency?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Everything I've ever read about lidar indicates that paint color of a vehicle is waaaaay down the list when it comes to determining effectiveness.

License plates, headlights, driving lights, fog lights, marker lamps, chrome bumpers and trim, etc. all contribute more to a vehicle's reflectivity signature than paint color does.

I dunno though....:dontknow:

Instead of phasing out black paint jobs, why not just require black cars to come standard with huuuuuuge Rally-style off road lighting to bounce the lidar beam off of?

"Yes, you can get the sedan in black. But it only comes in black with these teeny tiny unobtrusive decorative lamps..."

;D

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I'd totally turn them on to make people crash.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
You know it. Maybe I could flash cops as I drive by, blinding them for FTP points.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Everything I've ever read about lidar indicates that paint color of a vehicle is waaaaay down the list when it comes to determining effectiveness.

License plates, headlights, driving lights, fog lights, marker lamps, chrome bumpers and trim, etc. all contribute more to a vehicle's reflectivity signature than paint color does.

I dunno though....:dontknow:

Instead of phasing out black paint jobs, why not just require black cars to come standard with huuuuuuge Rally-style off road lighting to bounce the lidar beam off of?

"Yes, you can get the sedan in black. But it only comes in black with these teeny tiny unobtrusive decorative lamps..."

;D
headlamps and license pates are very reflective, BUT... a small target for a narrow beam , making the whole vehicle reflective will make aiming the narrow beam much easier and give them a longer range, quite possibly making it practical to get way from stationary lidar and making it feasable to have rolling lidar

·
Registered
308 Posts
what a bloody boondoggle. if ashton kuntcher paints his International CXT white, is that saving the environment? does he get any eco-cool points for it?

word of the day: boondoggle

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I'm so happy I don't live in that wacko state anymore.

Do miss Angeles Crest Highway, though.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Who the F comes up with this sheeite? I know two types of people: 1. Those that use their A/C all the time, and 2. Those that use it only on the hottest days.

I used to wear a shirt and tie to work every day, and let me tell you, I RARELY ever drove with the windows down. Just like wearing a helmet, it's a lot more comfortable to drive at highway speeds with the windows up. Some people prefer to drive with the windows down, though.

My issue is this: I can't see people changing their habits enough to make a difference. I seriously doubt that someone who likes A/C would actually choose to turn it off for half their drive in order to 'reduce carbon output.' If you're too cold, you don't turn your A/C off, you adjust the temp or the fan.

IMO, CARB is worse and more F-d up than PETA. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
When I read the thread title I was thinking that last time I was at a dealership I don't remember seeing a special section in the back lot for when the black people by their cars. Can't we all just get along.

:(

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I love this state but this is definitely up there in whackyness.

I'm wondering what they plan to do with the police cars...you know, the black and whites?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts