Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anyone have info on captive spacers for sv rear wheels? Tired of all the hassle when changing wheels.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
I've got a good seat for the ensuing discussion.
:happy1:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I got a set off Blair at SVRacing they are excellent !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Twin Works is who you need to contact. Period.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
OK, I'll bite. I don't change my own tires. What is the real benefit of these spacers compared to not having them?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
This is for you Fatass SVS :D

Zoran/TWF all the way, forget Blair/SVR.

That was as nice as I could put it.

The Zoran fanboy out.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
OK, I'll bite. I don't change my own tires. What is the real benefit of these spacers compared to not having them?
Trying to put the tire back in with loose spacers can be annoying, as they fall out if you don't do it quite right. Almost need 3 hands to do the rear tire change.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Trying to put the tire back in with loose spacers can be annoying, as they fall out if you don't do it quite right. Almost need 3 hands to do the rear tire change.
The way I put a rear on is:

0. always leave rear caliper bolted to bracket

1. wrap chain around sprocket and put axle bolt in swing arm hole
2. put right side spacer and rear caliper in place
3. hang 7/8" wrench (that you use on rear axle nut) and claw hammer from rear brake pedal to hold caliper on rotor
4. lift rear tire with left hand and left foot and push axle through with right hand

the bottom line is that step #3 is basically a ghetto-style captive spacer kit.

·
Registered
362 Posts
damn Clay that didn't take long :) That was a real PITA on Sunday wasn't it? I have 2 rear wheels with captives on one side and one that is stock - huge HUGE difference. BTW - one way to make it a bit easier but messier is to use a bit of heavy grease to make the spacer stick in place - yours were pretty dry when we were messing with it.

Don't forget to bevel the edges of those rear pads to make it easier to slide the rear disk in too.

Brian

·
Registered
157 Posts
damn Clay that didn't take long :) That was a real PITA on Sunday wasn't it? I have 2 rear wheels with captives on one side and one that is stock - huge HUGE difference. BTW - one way to make it a bit easier but messier is to use a bit of heavy grease to make the spacer stick in place - yours were pretty dry when we were messing with it.

Don't forget to bevel the edges of those rear pads to make it easier to slide the rear disk in too.

Brian
+1

Also zip tie on rear brake line helps hold the bracket in place, and lube axle well.

Captive on mine is big help, scour classifieds.

Plus what do you need it for, I thought when you go back to the motherland you can just always leave your rains on!;D

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I have two sets of wheels, one with captive spacers. Believe me, it is much nicer and faster for the wheel with the captive spacers. (Actually, three, I forgot about the set with the rains, they are also captive)
I got mine from Blair. Happy with everything.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just did my first rear wheel swap and didn't think it was rough at all (no captive spacers). Beveling the edges of the rear brake pads will help a lot to guide the wheel into place. There is plenty of space to wiggle the wheels into the correct spot. The biggest hassle was the brake caliper bracket not being snug against the swingarm.

Not quite as easy as my GSXR but easy enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts