Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
welcome to my build thread! :hug:

so i bought the bike new in '08 as a leftover from '07, i didn't have a whole lot of experience working on bikes.... make that no experience, but i like to think i'm pretty handy when it comes to things like this. so this is my second bike, and i was nervous to do anything at all to it. so before i even found this forum or knew anyone that owned a sv650, i decided to remove the rear fender. so i bought the targa fender eliminator and went nervously to work. a couple hours later, i was done.... and hooked.

so it was a couple weeks later when i decided to do the exhaust, and also decided i should take pictures. :)

so i went to the local dealer and picked up a 2 bros carbon fiber slip on.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so i had my exhaust on, and i absolutely loved how it looked and sounded!!
but of course, now i can't stop!! and now i'm looking for more things that i can do. thats when i found the website WHaccessories.com where i ordered a belly pan, radiator grill, pegs, and a tire hugger. i also spotted some radiator shrouds that were only meant for the S model, but i liked how they looked and i set out to find some for my bike. as it turned out, suzuki used to produce some, which they don't anymore. so i did some digging and i finally found a pair online. i ordered those and they actually came before anything else.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the hugger had to be made, so that was going to take a few extra days to arrive. in the meantime i decided to go riding.
and i crashed :'(
i was by myself on a back road. luckily i was on my way to meet a friend, so i gave him a call. he helped pull the bike out of the ditch it was in. things could have been waaaay worse than they were. i was feeling no pain due to the adrenalin. so i was able to limp it home with a leaky radiator and no mirrors.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the dent in the tank was due to the handlebar going into it. the damage to myself wasn't too bad, but a little worse than i origionally thought. unfortunatly i didn't have much gear on. i had a helmet, but other than that a t-shirt and jeans. (i learned my lesson!!!)
i took a shower and scrubed my rashes the second i got home so i didn't feel it until later. banged up my knee pretty good, has some small rash on my arm and shoulder. had a really nice bruise/scrape on my hip

went to the doctors later (my shoulder didn't stop hurting after 3 days) to find i had a small fracture and torn cartilage in my shoulder, but no cast or sling was needed. was out of work for a couple weeks though. (i can still feel it from time to time even now and this happened on the fourth of july '09)

and so started even more mods.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the bike was out of commission for a couple of weeks while i waited for a new radiator and fan, so i took off the rearsets and painted them black. the hugger came in the mail and i put that on. somehow, by some miracle, the radiator grill survived!!!! and so did all the other mods i had just done. the exhaust did have a little rash on it, but it doesn't bother me too much, and the shrounds i painted a flat black to hide the rash.

i had also seen the buell headlight setup a few times since i had joined the forum, which i really liked. and since mine had rash on it, i decided what the hell. so i bought a used windscreen and bracket, but had to buy new headlights. the setup was fairly easy to install and i bought a couple of brackets and bolts from home depot, found how to wire it and went to work.

the brackets were only temporary, as my father fabricated new ones at his work with his laser cutter.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so then one day, i come across nilles clear clutch covers. and i thought they were bad ass, and i needed one. so i contacted him and ordered one anodized blue with blue retainers. a few weeks later, i had it in hand and then installed! ;D i had also since ordered a new tank and replaced the dented one and cleaned up the frame a bit.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so now its winter time, and i wanted to do a few more mods. and here is the list

powdercoat forks and rearsets (already off bike and with my father, just waiting for them to come back)
sonic springs (already in hand waiting for forks)
47 tooth rear sprocket and chain, both blue (already in hand)
HID's (already in housing, waiting to be put back on bike after forks arrive and are don)
zx10r rear shock (already in hand, will put on after chain and sprocket are done)
machine rotors (waiting for them to come back)

so here is a pic of the bike all apart. you can see the blue sprocket already mounted on the back tire to the right, and my first bike (87 honda cb700 nighthawk) which now belongs to my girlfriends father. (he graciously lets me work in his garage)

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, so got to work on the bike today :)

mounted all the rotors, and remounted the back tire.

the chain is on, but the master link is ***** to press! so i'm gunna try to find a cheap chain press and use my iprovized tool to flare the rivets.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, so today i finished wiring the relay for my low beam to be on even when i turn my high beam on. forks and rearsets are going out to be powder coated hopefully tomorrow or the next day. bracket cuts for the clip-ons should be done tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so today i tourqed the front sprocket and got the clutch put back together after a little trouble. i panicked a little when i first put it together and it was working, then i heard a loud "POP" and it wasn't working anymore :(. turned out i had a bunch of slack in the cable and the pop was the sleeve popping in where the lever is. after a quick look in the FAQ section, i got the how-to on the clutch adjustment, and all was good!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got all my PC'd goodies yesterday and i got to work on the bike today for several hours. got the forks mounted and front wheel back on. mounted passenger pegs (minus actual pegs) and fit the headlight on temporarily to get a feel for the look.

forks

new clip-ons

little further away

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.