Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's actually my brother's '00 ZX-6R.

While in 2nd gear and pushing down on the shifter to go to neutral or 1st, the shifter moves but doesn't seem to move all the way down.

We've gotten it down into 1st and neutral a few times but it takes allot of work. All the other gears seem fine. There's enough oil and it's been changed in the past couple weeks, but this problem only arose a couple days ago.

Josh

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
dirty shift linkage

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep, dirty linkage or there's a problem with the shift detent in the cases.

Let's opt for #1. :)

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Do you mean the linkage on the outside of the case? Or is there more on the inside referred to as "shift linkage?"

What does the 'detent' involve?

My brother told me today that he finally got it into 1st and neutral but can't get it into the other gears now. Does that help narrow it down?

Thanks again,
Josh

·
Registered
67 Posts
The external shift linkage (what connects to the shift pedal) actuates an shaft inside the cases that works on drum. The drum actuates forks that control what gear gets engaged. Worn shift detents can cause a bike to slip out of gear or make it difficult to enage. If you're a visual person, I am, maybe the links below will help describe it.

Here's the shift linkage. You can take everything apart, clean the components, and apply some light moly grease to the shift shaft where the shift arm mounts.
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_0472/gear_change_mechanism/gear_change_mechanism.cfm

Here's the internals for the drum and shift forks to get an idea of what they look like
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_0472/gear_change_drum_shift_fork_s/gear_change_drum_shift_fork_s.cfm?man=ka&groupid=13350&parent=12990

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks allot fellers. My brother took your advice by disassembling, lubing, and reassembling the external linkage. He's enjoying the shifting action so much now that he has become really sad to sell it.

Josh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts