Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did my annual brake flush a few weeks ago and got my front brake lever to pull about 1 inch before full lock. I was very happy with it as my front lever pull has been too long (1.5 - 2 in), even though I have stainless steel lines and rebuilt the master cylinder and calipers less than 2 years ago.
However, after 500 miles my lever pull is now too long again so I decided to flush the front brakes again today. I ran about half a bottle through both lines, doing it the old fashioned way with pump-open/close bleeder valve-release, but the brakes still have not tightened up. No air bubbles came out of the bleeder valves or the master cylinder.
I'm at my wits end and my only explanation right now is that maybe the master cylinder piston seal is damaged. But then again, after I pull about 1.5 in, the lever comes to a firm stop. So that would mean that the system is sealed everywhere right?
Any ideas would be much appreciated. I'm tempted to take the whole system apart again and start from scratch.
How long is the lever pull on your bikes when you have fresh fluid?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you tried holding the bike at different angles?
I've found i get the occasional bubble appear in the reservoir when i tilt the bike left or right as i pull the lever.
Try both gentle leans and if brave enough right over so the fluid is almost at the edge of the reservoir but the hose/hole is still covered by fluid.
Air can sit in the master cylinder if tilted or horizontal

Otherwise another suggestion would be reverse bleeding.
I've also heard of people doing things like cable tying brake lever down overnight

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Be sure your pads/slider pins are free and lubricated. Just fixed a 4Runner at work with a scary long pedal because the pads were all jammed up in the caliper.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The only time I've not been able to keep full pressure on Front brakes and the frustration it brings it was a Faulty/Old Master Cylinder and a rebuild kit didn't work. Now I just replace the MCs with ones off Amazon/Ebay but try and find ones with positive reviews.

HTH :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts