Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first ever track day yesterday. Oh My God!!!!! how good are they. Had the best time ever. The bike went great guns all day.
I was going really well and overtaking quite a lot of bigger bikes and stuff until we hit the straight which was quite long on this track...when all of a sudden all my huge efforts were blow out of the water by everyone elses top end.
But it was still sweet it just made me try that bit harder next lap. Highlights for me were just wooping my best mate through the corners all day.. he rides a 2002 ninja 636. And a awesome overtake at 100mph round the outside of turn 1. Anyway just wanted to tell everyone who hasnt done one to go and do a track day..... THEY ROCK

by the way the track was Eastern Creek International Raceway. Sydney, Australia. http://www.eastern-creek-raceway.com/

Cant get the smile off my face

·
Registered
57 Posts
Glad to hear you had a great time. That is what it is all about. Planning on going to the track in a couple of weeks for the first time this year. Hopefully the weather will be better than it has been. I started track riding last year while unemployed. It is awesome on a quick turning bike and passing the liter bikes in the turns :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm smiling from hearing about it.. until bike time, it'll be the best I have :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
gemonic - I'm resurrecting an old post of yours 'cos I've just done the same thing - took my '04 650 around Eastern Creek for my first ever track day.

Had an awesome day - best day out I've had in years. Met up with a few people from our Australian SV website (www.svdownunder.com.au). We were rained out in the middle of the day, but unlike a lot of people I stuck around and was rewarded with an extra long session in the afternoon once the track had dried out again. So much fun, I just can't say. I've never really opened the bike up before, and its amazing what a difference it makes riding it up around 9-10 000 rpm makes - feels like a different bike. Everyone runs away from me on the straights (made it up to 185 indicated, the bike might be able to do about 10kmph more but thats it) but the bike holds its own in the tighter areas, its great on corners. I'm not, but the bike has a lot in reserve  ;)

had a few scary moments but no disasters. At the end of the main straight turn 1 is very fast - basically you just need to brake a bit, bang it down a gear and keep on the power most of the way through. Scared the %$#@ out of myself on the 3rd lap (my first really fast one) when I hit a false neutral between 6 & 5th) and instead of getting engine braking the bike just ran on. Happened again a bit later - not confidence inspiring. Then I ran off the track twice on the same corner (turn 9) because I stuffed up my braking. Its a steep-ish downhill with a rh hairpin turn half-way down it. You have to brake hard from about 120, gear down and tip it in hard, hold the throttle just cracked open and then drive hard out of it. Both times I came in a little hot, and locked up the back wheel as soon as I let the clutch out. As soon as it locks you are stuffed - back skips around all over the place and you don't slow down nearly enough. Both times I chose to run off straight onto the grass rather than try to save it. No harm done, kept the bike upright, restarted and went off fine. But damn scary and more than a bit embarrassing. Probably just poor technique on my part. You have to brake hard, downshift, and get back on the throttle (slightly)  very quickly and I think that I'm using too much back brake, then popping the clutch back out too quickly - then the engine braking combines with a heavy right foot to lock up the back wheel. I've probably got to use less back brake, more front, let the clutch out smoother - and something I haven't even attempted is blipping the throttle at the same time to match engine revs so there is less stress on the back wheel from engine braking. Damn, thats a fair bit of coordination to get right... Might forget about rev matching for a bit and just ignore the back brake altogether on the track for a while...

But other than that all went really well. The instructors said some nice things about my riding position and cornering style (for a rank beginner) and generally the corners felt really good. The SV grips so well, never once felt anything but solid, and the feeling of getting a line perfect then driving hard out from deep in a corner is amazing. Chewed the tyres up a bit, chased down and overtook a few people who were even more wobbly than me, and generally had a blast all day. Got to do some more of this next year when I have some spare cash :) Would like to do a lot more track days - but am scared of binning my bike as I use it every day. Might have to save up hard and get a track bike...

Anyway - a little pic of the day - have to say I felt like I was leaning over a lot further!   :) Ah well, it will come...

Hey, Gemonic if you are still around, drop me an email - might be fun to chat  :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts