Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried everything I can think of and the nut will not budge. Is there a secret I am missing or am I going to have to go to a dealer to get it done?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Breaker bar or impact wrench + a 2x4 through the rear wheel (while the chain is still in place) should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Pb blaster or other chem to help loosen fasteners. Keep going at it. Impact wrench is best for this, but persistence is also key to success. Imagine the difficulty I had when I tried the same thing with no chain on!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Unfortunately this is what I have tried with no luck
Add some leverage- get a metal pipe to slide over your breaker bar to give you more umph!

You could take it to a shop I suppose, but they're going to charge you for doing the same steps we've described above.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
It took me about a dozen cycles of heat and PB blaster because my impact gun was rubbish. Two extra feet of cheater pipe was also required on my 15" breaker bar and I was standing on said pipe. Why they torque the things so tight when there is a lock washer, I don't know...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I used PB blaster and a breaker bar. I also propped a steel pipe between the swingarm and rear wheel spoke, to keep the sprocket nut from rotating while I broke it free.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after a couple more attempts I am annoyed enough to pay to get it done, hopefully the local shops got what I don't and can succeed.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Have you given it at least a day? Try putting constant tension (ratchet strap works) on a wrench on the nut, soak with pb blaster, rap with hammer every 30 minutes or so. Tighten strap as necessary. Have patience and persistence. Don't give up.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Did you unbend the lock washer?
Hahahahaha!!! Great question!!! Not knocking OP, but I wouldn't be surprised since he's new at the wrenching it seems. I mean no offense, just stating observation (tho might be mistaken)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I hate to admit it, but when I changed my sprockets I had my nephew helping me and forgot to unbend that washer first. He's one strong SOB and just muscled that sucka off before I had the chance to check it first. LOL

The washer is soft enough that if you're really strong and have enough leverage, then that washer won't be able to slow ya down much.

BTW, My nephew is a "able bodied seaman" if that gives ya an idea of his strength. :icon_biggrin: And a great kid too. ;)

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I thought the same thing after readin this post but did not want to state the obvious !!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did it by the book and unbent the lock washer. Got a guy with a massive impact driver gonna try his luck.

Also this morning the clutch cable snapped :D

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I did it by the book and unbent the lock washer. Got a guy with a massive impact driver gonna try his luck.

Also this morning the clutch cable snapped :D
Oh nooooooo!!!! :p

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the good news is it's all done, clutch cable replaced as well as sprockets and chain. Bike feels SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!

Even replaced a broken turnsignal while I was at it ;)

While I am here I need to ask if it is bad to intentionally adjust my clutch to engage really close to the grips(too much play)? The clutch isn't slipping and I do prefer it so I can shift faster/more smoothly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts