Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2005 sv and i have noticed a couple of times i havent been able to get into 1st gear. it mainly happens when im stopping. a couple of times i have not been able to get it ot first and have to start in second. Ive tried to roll foward a little and it dosent help i have let off the clutch a little and that worked. i was just wondering if i was doing something wrong or if my bike is messed up.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Is it when you are stopped? From neutral they commonly won't go in, just let the clutch out and pull it again, will be fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
+1 on the letting the clutch out a little.
Bike gearboxes can be a little reluctant to shift when there's no load on the box.
Rocking the bike back and forth should work as well,
but letting the clutch out a little to put load on the box is prob the easiest way

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
normal :-*

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
This is a common problem with all motorcycle transmissions. Just keep pressure on the pedal and ease the clutch out. It will pop right into gear. If you aren't taking off just pull the clutch back in. If you are taking off you will just take off normally.

You may want to check your clutch adjustment, both freeplay and the lever under the front sprocket cover.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This happened to me for a while too and I also had a rough time shifting to neutral at stops. I adjusted my clutch cable then all shifting up, down, neutral were all smooth and effortless.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Happens to me too. You'll probably see this decrease in frequency as you break in the gearbox. As said before, ease out the clutch a bit and try shifting again, it will go into gear.

M

·
0 Posts
It happens sometimes. As others already said, letting the clutch out a little will make it

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
happens to me all the time... just let the clutch out a bit and then put it back in... after a while, you get used to it and you'll do it without even realizing (kinda like the habbit I formed of making sure it's in 6th before letting the clutch out due to the occasional false neutral :D )

·
Registered
359 Posts
ohhhhh man that sucks! I had that happen to me and it was the start of needing a new tranny!! can you say $$$$$$$$$$

:-[

..... ;D
Nah it's normal... don't worry about it too much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts