Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago my speedometer quit on me. After searching here, I found it was most likely the sensor rotor in the front wheel. I had some other maintenance to do, put on a new front tire and install some new fork bits, so up on the front stand it goes.

Sure enough, I pulled the front wheel off and here is what was left of the sensor:

Off to the dealer, of course it is not a part they have in stock. It's only $18, not too bad. I order on Saturday, it comes in Thursday (yesterday). Here's the new one on the left:

Last night I also installed my Ricor 'Intiminators' in the forks, got the forks back on and started putting everything back together. I was super careful to get that speedo sensor lined up just right in the wheel. Then I go to tighten the front axle, and as it tightens up I hear a crunch.

EFFFFFF! Son of a... :BangHead: :mad: :BangHead: :mad: :BangHead: :mad:

The sensor must have shifted at some point and got out of the recesses on the wheel. I immediately knew what the sound was and took the wheel off. Sure enough, all four tabs on the brand new sensor were broken off.

My options were to throw it across the garage, call the dealer and wait another week, or... I mixed up some two-part epoxy and glued those tabs right back on there. We'll see if it holds up, I can't imagine there is much stress on that rotor. It is supposed to freely spin with the wheel. I'll let it set for 24 hours, and put it in tonight to see if it works.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Lol. Did the same thing a couple years ago with the original speedo rotor: ["just a little bit tighter" (CRACK) "F^$%!"]. :cussing:

Upon inspection I had sheared one tab completely off. I milked it along through multiple tire changes and the speedo worked fine until last weekend it crapped out mid-ride. Didn't even have to look, just ordered a new rotor...

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
you don't need to know your speed!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you don't need to know your speed!
Yeah, but my odometer is my fuel gauge. ;)

The epoxy should hold. I hope. I'll be more careful installing it this time.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
ummm, what's the saying...

it's not the wrench that turns the nut, it's the nut that turns the wrench!!

loloolhehehehe

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I changed mine out a month or so ago. It is aweful not having a speedo. My part came off the forum for 10 bucks shipped.. I'm happy to see you didn't have to burn another 18 dollars on another sensor..

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
ummm, what's the saying...

it's not the wrench that turns the nut, it's the nut that turns the wrench!!

loloolhehehehe
Dangit, if I can't hit it with a hammer or over torque it without something breaking, then I don't want it. Oh wait, yes I do.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
you mean a BFH??

that would be.... big facking Harley tool...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The epoxy seems to be holding, at least it is working right now. Hopefully it will last for a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts