Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get it to where it feels perfect and returns perfectl when the bars are straight but if I lock them to the left or even a little less than that the throttle sticks open. I've adjusted the return and throttle cable in every possible way but If I get the throttle to not stick when turned to the left the throttle has a bunch of free play when I straighten it out. Would love to hear a fix for this it's not the end of the world but minimal free play feels so much better to me on a bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you doing large adjustments on the throttle body then minor changes at the handle?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,536 Posts
I can get it to where it feels perfect and returns perfectl when the bars are straight but if I lock them to the left or even a little less than that the throttle sticks open.
Make sure the cables are routed properly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you have the wrong cables (S cables on bars or N cables on clipons?)
I have n cables on dime city clubmans, they would be in a similar position to clip ons with a riser
Are you doing large adjustments on the throttle body then minor changes at the handle?

throttle body meaning the one that controls how the throttle returns to closed? I spent an hour or so trying all possible adjustment combinations between the two adjusters and couldn't get it to not be slack on the throttle when the bars are straight but so tight it almost sticks when the bars are turned to the left.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure the cables are routed properly.
I've got a Haynes manual coming I'll check the routing when I've got it as a reference ty for the idea. Bought the bike used and it's my first real bike, I came from a 250 Chinese dual sport I learned to ride on

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have n cables on dime city clubmans, they would be in a similar position to clip ons with a riser

throttle body meaning the one that controls how the throttle returns to closed? I spent an hour or so trying all possible adjustment combinations between the two adjusters and couldn't get it to not be slack on the throttle when the bars are straight but so tight it almost sticks when the bars are turned to the left.
Throttle body as in the throttle body which is under the air box.

As mentioned by someone else you need cables routed properly with no tight bends or tension at straight or full lock either way.

Once routed correctly then do rough adjustments at the throttle body then fine tune at the handlebar.
This is for both cables

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Cable routing should be checked against the factory service manual from time to time. Easy to get it wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update:
Saw a video of someone lubing their cables, did not know that was a thing. I sprayed some clp gun lube into a squeeze bottle with a needle tip and got a ton of it down the cables after just removing the 2 screws from housing around them. I was able to adjust the throttle to where it has no freeplay and still snaps back into place at full left lock. Love it when things turn out to be easy, everything that has come up so far has been way more of a pain in the ass, but im enjoying learning all these things. thanks everyone for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts