Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is getting a bike in Canada. He was quoted 2500 in insurance for a year. He is 23-24, where can he get affordable insurance? Calling out to Canadians here... His bike is a 1980's honda shadow costing 750 bucks.

S

·
0 Posts
Affordable insurance in Canada...? No such thing.

Seriously, though, an insurance broker can arrange motorcycle insurance through Jevco, which is owned by Kingsway Financial Services.

And then there is:
http://www.ridersplus.com

and

http://www.primmum.com/en/shop/moto
Primmum will give you a terrific quote, but when you call to buy the policy, you may find the "actual price" is much, much, much higher.

And finally, State Farm sells motorcycle insurance. Many of their agents will tell you that they won't insure your motorcycle unless you already have a car and/or home insured with them. However, some State Farm agents don't care about this, so it's worth calling more than one.

I've been insured with each of the above (except for State Farm). Basically, they're all a bunch of scamming crooks, but whatcha gonna do?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use Primmum as stated above. Good to deal with so far, but I never had to make a claim either.

Troy

·
Registered
17 Posts
2500$!!! That's crazy. Mine cost's 112 a month for insurance, collision and comprehensive. I get mine from BCAA. (I do have 10 years safe drivers, but that shouldn't make that big of a difference)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have full coverage through Wawanesa for just over 600 per year. That includes everything (tipovers, accidents, acts of god, etc.). I think it was dependent on home insurance though.

My father had a total loss claim through Primmum 2 years ago. He was paid out fully (and quite fairly), on a total loss within a couple weeks of his claim. He swears by them!

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
why the hell is that dude getting full coverage on his bike? even in good shape an 80's shadow can't be more than a few grand..

All he needs is 1 million liability... and possibly fire/theft/vandalism aka specified perils (which is something like an extra $80 a year or so on a policy)

and there is no way that should cost more than $600 a year anywhere in canada even if he was 18

or... does he have drunk driving or a tonn of speeding and or unsafe driving points on his license?

Full coverage for me is about $850 a year.. but then I am over 30 now and have about 18 years of riding

I had Jevco on my 99 SV and now just added my new 2006 to my home and auto insurance wich is with ING... they were slightly better for full coverage for me

·
Registered
209 Posts
Full coverage for me is $700 through TD Insurance. I've been insured through both Primmum and ING in the past and after their rates went up I called around and TD was the cheapest.

Try to stay away from brokers, they make their money by charging more than what the policy is actually worth.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He is in Ontario (Burlignton/Hamilton/Oakville region). He is 23, he has not been pulled over, arrested, DUI etc... He has a completely clean record. The Shadow is worth nothing, but for minimum coverage they are asking for 2500 bucks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You live in Surrey? I'm in Langley.
I used to live in Richmond... Insurance in BC sucks big time... when i moved to the states my insurance went down twice. :)

PS someone offered kanetix there... it's the right way to go. if you're in bc though u can forget about it... all we have is lovely icbc. :(

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
another vote for jevco, I'm paying about 400 a year for liability, fire theft and vandalism. I'm 21 with a speeding ticket and 1 accident on record.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
He is in Ontario (Burlignton/Hamilton/Oakville region). He is 23, he has not been pulled over, arrested, DUI etc... He has a completely clean record. The Shadow is worth nothing, but for minimum coverage they are asking for 2500 bucks.
that's freaking insane... I could almost see it if it was full coverage.. but I'm guessing that some evil broker has some bills to pay and wants to see how much he can bend that kid over the bike...

there is no way in hell 1 million liability with fire/theft specified peril added should cost more than $500... What is it a modified liter bike so now it has 2000cc or something?... Tell the dude to go to that http://www.kanetix.ca/ web site for some quotes.... or just call up TD or some brokers other people recommend....

failing that... tell him to move to another city where their agents don't rape people buying policies...

S

·
0 Posts
Something's wacky with that. He needs to shop around.

A buddy at work (in Ottawa) is 24 yrs old, clean record, M2 license, just bought a new 2008 CBR600RR and is paying $110/month for full coverage with State Farm. That's $1320 /yr. His car is also insured with the same company.

BTW, Kanetix just gave me a quote that is 2 1/2 times what I pay with Rider's Plus. Primmum's quote was within a few dollars of what I pay now.

·
Registered
904 Posts
State farm is the way to go in Ontario.

Key things to note with them is that they insure based off of cc, ie if I went and got a GSX-R 600 my rate would go DOWN from where it is now, BUT they don't often insure bikes if you don't already have a car or house with them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Some statefarm people will do just bikes, and the rates are STILL better than most companies, depends on your driving record tho.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts