Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I've searched and can't find the answer! Has anyone put a 45 tooth rear on an SVs (has a 44 tooth rear) and been able to utilize the standard chain with OK results?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Usually, for every tooth you go up (c/s or rear), it requires 2 more links of chain. It varies depending on chain mfg. as well. If your chain has already stretched then you'd need no extra links, but you should always change chain and sprockets as a set to get optimum life out of them.
If you check the specs section in the back of your owners manual, you'll see the naked has 110 link chain and the s has 108 links.

Edit: Posted in your other thread.
Just replaced my chain (stock SVS sprocket sizes), I got the EK 110 link from Oneida for $61.99. With 110 links I had no adjustment left and excessive chain slack, so I got out the chain multi-tool and removed 2 links. Not good, it was way too short. You should be fine with 109 links for either.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnaks for the info. I have an SVs with 600 miles on it is I doubt the chain has streched much. I'll have to think about this! Not sure I want to spend the extra money on a new chain when mine is still new! I just want a "little" lower ratio. I don't want to go to a 14t front! Oh well. Any more info from anyone would be helpful!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
PREZ said:
Usually, for every tooth you go up (c/s or rear), it requires 2 more links of chain. It varies depending on chain mfg. as well. If your chain has already stretched then you'd need no extra links, but you should always change chain and sprockets as a set to get optimum life out of them.
If you check the specs section in the back of your owners manual, you'll see the naked has 110 link chain and the s has 108 links.

Edit: Posted in your other thread.
Just replaced my chain (stock SVS sprocket sizes), I got the EK 110 link from Oneida for $61.99. With 110 links I had no adjustment left and excessive chain slack, so I got out the chain multi-tool and removed 2 links. Not good, it was way too short. You should be fine with 109 links for either.
no such think as an odd number of links in a chain cause of the way they'rer constructed

·
Registered
199 Posts
RandyO said:
no such think as an odd number of links in a chain cause of the way they'rer constructed
Well then, I must assume that the mfg. made a big goof and sent me an odd number chain. :-\

Like I said, ordered a 110, the pkg said 110, it was way too long, took out 2 links and it was way too short. Apparently there was an error or difference between D.I.D. and EK.

I didn't exactly take the time to count each link as I was rather frustrated with it. ::)

·
Registered
199 Posts
BTW, I put one of the 2 links back in and it was right, which is how I arrived at the odd number.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
PREZ said:
BTW, I put one of the 2 links back in and it was right, which is how I arrived at the odd number.
COUNT YOUR LINKS , total # of links must be even or it will not connect, no such thing as an odd # of links in a chain

·
Registered
93 Posts
cyclerider105 said:
I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I've searched and can't find the answer! Has anyone put a 45 tooth rear on an SVs (has a 44 tooth rear) and been able to utilize the standard chain with OK results?
It will be fine. I run 15/45 on an SVS with 108 chain. I think a 46 will even fit fine.

Andy

·
Registered
199 Posts
RandyO said:
COUNT YOUR LINKS , total # of links must be even or it will not connect, no such thing as an odd # of links in a chain
Sorry Randy, but I have many other things I'd rather do than count chain links. As I said, the mfg said it was 110............... I just know what I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts