Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded from my 10 year old HJC helmet to a Scorpion EXO-1100. I love the new helmet. It fits perfectly, the visor is way nicer, the retractable sun visor is awesome. However it has UNBELIEVABLY loud wind noise.

I have a feeling this noise is from the air flow inside the helmet. It sounds like a howling, whistling sound. All the other noise like engine noise and road noise is a lot more dampened compared to the HJC helmet, except this howling wind noise.

Is there anything I can do to fix this besides wearing ear plugs?

·
Registered
575 Posts
You should be wearing earplugs no matter how quiet you think your helmet is (unless you have stock exhaust and never ride over 25mph). So do that first, and if the helmet still bothers you, look for an additional solution.

fenderlvr? as in Fender guitars/amps?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Does it go away if you close the vents? If not then it's likely wind over the helmet, not through it. Regardless, your best bet is ear plugs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fenderlvr? as in Fender guitars/amps?
Yes. I have a Mexican strat and a Fender acoustic. I almost bought a Fender Hot Rod Deville amp. They sound sweet. I have a Marshall amp now. I like the Mexican strat's feel, but the electronics are a bit cheap. I upgraded the bridge to the American Delux bridge.

Anyway, back to motorcycles. I haven't even tried closing the vents as it's been in the upper 70s. I guess I can wear earplugs, just didn't feel like I needed them with my old helmet.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have no windscreen and regularly drive about 80mph on the freeways.
Then you need earplugs. Otherwise you WILL sustain hearing loss. This should matter to you, especially as a musician.

I too am a Fender lover. I have a 3 fender guitars, a bass, and 5 amps.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I guess I can wear earplugs, just didn't feel like I needed them with my old helmet.
new helmets are lighter and noisier. my old Bell M-2 (snell95) was just as quiet as earplugs, but heavy, everytime I buy a new helmet, it seems to be noisier

·
Registered
110 Posts
As Knifey said, earplugs are a must. Not sure how you've managed to ride for 10 years without reaching that conclusion.

I see your EXO-1100 has adjustable front and rear vents. Try closing them. The upper front vent on my Shoei Qwest whistles. I keep it closed in cold weather. The other vents I can't tell the difference---in noise or in airflow.

Another thing that can cause helmet noise is poor fit. Any gaps between your head and the liner will permit additional airflow and noise. Not to mention a poor fitting helmet won't protect you as well in a crash. Your EXO-1100 has air-adjustable cheekpads.. maybe you just need a few pumps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure how you've managed to ride for 10 years without reaching that conclusion.
Let me explain...
I bought my first bike in 2004, so more like 8 years. It was a cruiser that I rarely drove and rarely got over 60mph. Then I took about 4 years off from motorcycling. So now, I'm basically a new rider with an 8 year old helmet.

I closed the vents at lunch today and the noise is a lot better, but I like the ventilation.

So...
What do I look for in good ear plugs?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
The soft foam ones that you roll up and put in your ear work well. You should be able to get them at any hardware store. I use these or a set of rubber earplugs anytime I am on the bike, working with loud power tools, or at the shooting range.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Agreed about the earplugs, but that wasn't how I read the question. Some helmets are noisier that others. You can try using blue painters tape around some of the seams to find if there are particular wind leaks. Sometimes you can fix some of them with a bit of rubber or silicone seal. (You'd look pretty silly leaving the blue tape on all the time.)

I find that a lot of the wind noise comes from the bottom of the helmet. I am still trying to figure out a helmet skirt or equivalent to stop that. Most of it is in the gap near the jawbone & straps. I tried a bandana, but was unable to stop enough airflow to help much. There may be commercial products out there that I haven't tried yet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Let me explain...
I bought my first bike in 2004, so more like 8 years. It was a cruiser that I rarely drove and rarely got over 60mph. Then I took about 4 years off from motorcycling. So now, I'm basically a new rider with an 8 year old helmet.

I closed the vents at lunch today and the noise is a lot better, but I like the ventilation.

So...
What do I look for in good ear plugs?
My favorite earplugs are the Howard Leight MAX:

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max

They used to stock them here at work but now I'm running out so I'll have to pony up and buy a box.

You might want to try an earplug sampler pack to figure out what fits you best:

http://www.earplugstore.com/unfoamtrialp.html

·
Registered
110 Posts
The upper front vent on my Shoei Qwest whistles. I keep it closed in cold weather. The other vents I can't tell the difference---in noise or in airflow.
Correction: the forehead vent on my Qwest, when open, produces an audible wind rushing sound. It's the shield that whistles, but only at high speeds in the de-fog setting. The forehead vent works much better when the two exhaust vents on the back are opened. The chin vent does nothing, although I do have a fairly large windscreen on my bike (FZ1). I removed the chin skirt for the summer, it's a little cooler now but not noticeably noisier. Thanks to earplugs the shield de-fog whistle is the only annoyance, but with the Pinlock insert I don't need it much---until my glasses/sunglasses start fogging up. 8)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts