Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, IM trying to find somethign but i dont know the name of it....

Its a heat resistant fabric like sock, or cover, that fits over your exhaust pipe and protects from heat damage and burns.
Im trygin to find one for my bike as twice already my girlfriend has 'kissed' the exhasut pipe (not the muffler, the pipe) with her bare legs and recieved some pretty serious burns so.. we want to avoid that from happening ever again. Ive seen them in pictures and ive heard of thmeonce or twice before, but never considered getting oen till now.

Anyone help?

Thanks

Andrew

oh yea.. are those shorter dogbones for the 05 gen svs's ready for purchase yet? Id like to buy a set for my bike to speed up the handling a lil wee bit. Recommendations for a bolt on steering damper woud be good too... i seem to manage to get my bike to shake its head quite often on the twisty back roads out here on vancouver island. It doesnt have to be too fancy or expensive, just good enough the amateur and with a good mounting. Doesnt matter really were on the steerign it is mounted.
cheers to the ones who answer repetative q's too.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Check out like Jegs or Summit racing, It just heat wrap your looking for.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
Don't wanna preach but if she wears proper equipment (boots, pants) she won't get burned.
Fo schizzle to that, but regardless, maybe look into a CF pipe? Then again, that midpipe gets bloody hot too. Or the most effective solution would be to go buy some Soccer shinpads, the hard plastic kind, and have her wear them, and make sure you rotate them to the inside of the leg. Hmmm...yes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Your bike is jealous, it's warning your GF to back off, it wants you for itself.

+1 for proper gear while on the bike. Or just stay away from the bike when in shorts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Probably looking for heat wrap as mentioned above. However, you could also get it ceramic coated. There are some really good high temp coatings available - but its pricey compared to heat wrap.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Make you exhaust undertail.   ;D  That way no one gets burned!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
you could always go to a plumbing supply store and get a soldering blanket

you can burn yourself even wearing proper gear,  I have got 1st degree burns on the inside of my legs from the frame while wearing JR ballistic pants.

·
Registered
397 Posts
hahahaha my girlfriend burned her calf the first day i got my bike...i just got off my bike, and she got out of her car and was trying to sit on my bike while i was taking off my helmet...next thing i heard was AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I was like wtf??? And yes bikes do get jealous ;) From now on, wear jeans and no open skin and you'll be fine. I've burned part of my leg once on the pipes while trying to move the bike out from the garage...my leg ventured a little too far into it...the high mount scorpion thats in the mail should rectify things 8)

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Wearing gear's no good, she'll burn the gear instead of her skin, and that stuff's expensive! I picked up a wee heat shield for my midpipe, which was melting the crap out of my boot. It's just a wee bit of polished steel with a loop on the back, exhaust clamp goes through the loop and around the pipe. It still heats up, but nothing like as hot.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I'll say it like I thought it....

Good God - put a pair of jeans on.

Dress for the crash, not the ride. (Yes - I know I'm preaching, but this is the second or third person this month I've run into who had their girl burn their leg. It's silly.)

·
Registered
151 Posts
its called header wrap I think; ceramic coated cloth that comes in a roll like an ace bandage. I've seen some guys use them on one of the chopper shows to wrap their pipes to make the bikes look "old school". won't eliminate the leg burning issue but it can make your sv look "old school" too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts