Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was swapping out my parking lights with LEDs and I guess I inserted them in reverse polarity. I have relays installed so I can use the parking lights as turn signals.

The relay no longer clicks now, but the rear turn signal still works, and the parking light remains on.

Relay burn out?

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Are you talking about the flasher relay or relays on each light? What type of relays?

Relays can go bad, but if you have one on each light it is pretty slim chance that both would "burn out" at the same time and they wouldn't go bad from reversing anything they are very simple devices.

If they are SPDT/SPST relays they are pretty easy to test. All you need is a basic test light.

-Power goes to 30, at this point you should have power at 87a if you have a SPDT.
-connect 85 and 86, one to power and one to ground (it doesn't really matter which). Now you should have power at 87.

SPDT Relay (SPST looks the same without the 87a pin)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SPDT relay.

Only the right side is burned out. The left side works fine. Each side has its own relay. I'll try that drinkbrew.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't get why it would be a connection issue though :/

Now that I think about it, the issue started when I removed the rear turn signal. Everything in the rear looks fine though, and the only thing I did in the front was change the incandescent driving light for a LED driving light.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did initially. I reversed it though so now the LED light works, but does not flash as it should with the relay.

edit:

Yup it was the relay. Swapped it out with a spare and it works.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
To answer your question, yes, they can go bad. Sometimes the contacts get dirty or break. Sometimes the coil burns up.

Glad you got it sorted out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I've pulled out a bad relay, taken it apart (mostly out of curiosity), cleaned the contacts, and it was good to go again. If it's worth your time or inclination you might salvage the old one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts