Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
G

·
I don't know what you guys are talking about the sv sounding like crap. When I was putting my pipe on I started it up for a minute and it was absolutely ghoulish. So loud, so mean, so badass. It was raspy, bassy, just perfect.

I would do the same if it wouldn't hurt the performance/engine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you absolutely positively have to have more sound and are a cheapskate, why not just go the route others have documented on here and drill the baffle? It will eliminate the lawn mower sound, and still be loud enough to attract the attention of all the fly 14 year old chicks you want to pick up at the mall YO. Gotz to get mad attention homie. HOLLA!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
You can go cheap and loud.... D&D. Or hack off that crappy stock muffler and weld on a cherry bomb....

Other wise... I wouldn't just hack off the muffler and leave it off. You will cause damage. But hey... to each his own. When you do hole the piston... sell me the bike for a $500.

But I have to agree, that it does sound awesome with out any mufflers. Granted it's loud as hell.. but it does sound good. Way better than a lot of bikes. No wonder why my Renegades sound so good....

G

·
After all the the advice provided to you, I can't believe you still want to proceed with this mod. You must be a young little squirt to disregard such informative advice. Good luck

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm not going to flame you for your decision. If you want to go cheap, why not go to a muffler shop and have them bend some scrap pipes for you? That's all the custom chopper builders seem to do. Indian Larry (rip) used scrap peices for his mufflers. You can also wrap them and not worry about heat issues and still have the sound you desire. You should also save for a remap if engine longevity is important to you.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok i dont see what the problem is here? And yes I am serious abouting running my bike like this, whats the big deal? All i dont understand is how my bike will get engine damage if its not running lean? If u dont have to re map for another slip on why should u if their isnt one? Is the muffler rely that restrictive? Also what the hell is everyone talking about back pressure what is that? When i run my bike i know it cant be running very lean because it still runs great and isnt misfiring or anything which something lean does. Plus when i want i can keep it quiet by going a bit slower and staying low in the rpm. And ya im am pretty young and i dont see whats wrong with having people like your bike. If I didnt i get some piece of shit and ride that!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
redbaron said:
If I didnt i get some piece of s**t and ride that!
You may soon get your wish.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you dont remap and chop the pipe, you are running lean.

lean does not cause the engine to misfire.... Unless it is so far out of whack it isnt getting fuel. Lean will make the engine run hotter though.

The stock pipe has a lot of restriction. Many slipon systems dont have much for restrictive baffles, but they do still have a can with scalop or perferated baffling around the outside.
There is resistance in the airflow just from the air bouncing around in the can. there is also more back pressure just from the length of the exhaust itself.

if you want to pull off the can o would at least put in enough exhast pipe to bring it out to near stock length with a bit of baffleing. You can get generic baffles for sampson cruiser exhasts for cheap and they just bolt to the inside of 2 1/4" exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
redbaron said:
I already stuggle to pay its $2,200 in insurance.
:shock:
Who is your insurance company?! I paid $265 for full coverage for this year. I'm 23 with a not so great driving record.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I hope the retard police find you and beat you. RETARD.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You know, it's almost worth the board being down over 2 days and the past 3-4 weeks getting erased just to see this thread resurrected.

Redbaron....what can I say that hasn't already been said?

Let your middle school buddies in on a secret- everyone really isn't looking at you...

·
Registered
32 Posts
redbaron,
rephrase your question. What is the loudest pipe I can put on my SV? You are trying to be different, that is not generally excepted around here. Yes it will run leaner, yes you should remap if you remove the stock muffler. No it is not the best thing to do to your engine. You asked for the flaming by posting that question here. There is alot of good people and information on here, but you have to weed through alot of opinions to get a real answer.

·
Registered
836 Posts
jdblacker said:
redbaron,
rephrase your question. What is the loudest pipe I can put on my SV? You are trying to be different, that is not generally excepted around here. Yes it will run leaner, yes you should remap if you remove the stock muffler. No it is not the best thing to do to your engine. You asked for the flaming by posting that question here. There is alot of good people and information on here, but you have to weed through alot of opinions to get a real answer.
Redbaron, rephrase your question to say what you actually meant:

I just bought a brand new bike I can barely afford. I'd like to recieve lots of positive affirmation and attention from my friends and from the opposite sex. The way to do this is to have a really loud pipe.

Then..you can follow it up by saying:

I don't know anything about how an engine works, but I'll argue with people who've countless years of experience with engine work just the same.

But, we're closeminded here at SVrider.... :roll:

G

·
MitchC said:
Hey,

Some of this techincal stuff is out of my league, but I saw a stunt team here in Canada that rode without exhausts. They did have their headers but no silencer... If that helps you at all? I agree, it sounds pretty nice and loud. But a can will sharper that sound and make it sound even better.

Mitch
I am guessing you were talking about the Yelloe stunt bikes at Mosport last year? I talked to them and they said the only reason they were running it that way was to be loud... but they were looking for sponsors lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe you should try draining all the oil out, too. I heard that's good for at least 20 horsepower.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This has to be a posting from someone from another rider board. They are probably sitting back and killing themselves reading all of our responses to this posting.
Truly, is anyone really this dumb? Scary to think so. Innocent dumb questions are fine, if you don't ask, you can't learn. I'm sorry though, anyone seemingly this dumb probably should not own a bike.

G

·
ill sell you my devil, its damn near as loud as a straight pipe. plus its got a cool titanium can so when you lowside it, itll make those cool ti sparks. Hows $250 sound, im looking for a yosh system, being loud gets old, very old.

PS, i really will sell it to you, i wasnt being sarcastic

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to bring up add to an old post, but I had to after looking through posts about removing the baffle on the stock pipe. You could get a resonated exhaust tip (basically a muffler built into an exhaust tip) and it should be the same as running some of these slip-ons. It will give you some back pressure and quiet down the exhaust some. It might be the best option if you want to go this route. I know that this is an old thread, but I had to post for those looking at cheaper options. I'm not sure if you could find one for the small diameter pipes on our bikes though.

Someone made a comment about being cheap. Let's get real.......most slip-on are not worth nearly what we pay for them. Just my $.02, take it or leave it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes you can. It will be loud. May lean bike out. Pay attention to temp gauge. Most afermarket exaust are un-baffled anyway.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts