Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I got an 04 SV 650 S and i was just wondering if it possible to run without the muffler without re mapping or whatever. I know I'm going to get flamed for this but it sounds so nice, and it gets so much more attention. Before people could'nt hear me coming but now they can! Plus it saves alot of weight. But anyways will the bike be running to lean, or can it hadle this without seizing or something bad like that. Thanks

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
yes. It looks like poop and IMO sounds like poop. But your backpressure is hardly going to be any different than if you had an aftermarket slip-on.

The technical answer is yes; but it's not a good idea for motor longevity unless you remap... you will beging to run lean and could overheat but probably just run hotter.

Josh

M

·
0 Posts
Hey,

Some of this techincal stuff is out of my league, but I saw a stunt team here in Canada that rode without exhausts. They did have their headers but no silencer... If that helps you at all? I agree, it sounds pretty nice and loud. But a can will sharper that sound and make it sound even better.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I'm sorry - but you think it sounds good?!?!?

Sport Rider this month has a letter from a Hayabusa owner who was running without one - and told him you can't do it due to the loss of back pressure and the very real potential for catastrophic engine damage. No offense to MitchC - but stunt teams aren't known for taking care of their equipment. :)

Maybe you can get it to run ok, but you'll lose more than a little performance no matter what.

Also, if recognition is what you want, you bought the wrong bike.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Save your money and get a Harley. (Another advantage is you won't need to waste any money on gear.)

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Sounds like allot of you don't know that many straight-thru mufflers actually have less backpressure than a straight pipe of equal ID (inner diameter). I don't understand the physics but there have been tests that show there is a vacuum created at the exit of those straight-thru mufflers. Granted, the extra 18+ inches introduces a drag but you can be sure that the difference is nominal.

That guy with the Busa probably didn't even remap from a stock computer. Running with no headers at all is likely to be a serious problem. Plus it's loud as all poopie and can ruin some nearby parts.

Josh

·
Registered
283 Posts
On the other hand, it will cut down on that stock pipe-lawnmower sound effect.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
red baron said:
I know I'm going to get flamed for this but it sounds so nice, and it gets so much more attention.
It doesn't sound "nice"; it sounds painfully loud. Maybe not to you, but to everybody else whose ears you are assaulting it's painful and annoying. Running loud just to satisfy your inner enfant terrible draws the wrong kind of attention to you and to every other rider who tries to ride without being hated, hassled and hurt. Making other people suffer for your own satisfation is sociopathic. Don't be that guy.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
There's a trick to it

A tuned muffler will be more efficient than an untuned straight pipe. What will happen to the acoustics of the system if you run without a muffler is unknown. It's not that tuned systems hold a "special" back pressure on the engine, but that the reverse pulses reach the valves at the right time. It's way too complicated to get into here. You can wind up running too lean, which will burn valves and pistons. You can also wind up with more power at some RPMs and less at others.

All that aside, like others said, you may like the way it sounds because you aren't driving or riding behind it. A headlight modulator will get you noticed more than a loud pipe. Already many areas are clamping down on loud bikes. That brngs unfavorable attention to all bikes. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks for all the replies everybody! I think Im going to try running it like that for now and see what happens, so then if sumthin does happen everybody can say i told u so. I admit I'd rather have a nice slip-on thats still loud but with a real nice clean sound. But i dont have that kind of money plus re-mapping must be alot too. I already stuggle to pay its $2,200 in insurance. And it at least sounds better then with it on, it serioulsy does sound like a lawnmower or somethin! The bike seems to run fine without it though. Even if it is running a bit lean, it cant be very much because i would be able to tell if it wasnt running right. Yo, and i would never ride a harley. I know they get a lot of attention them and choppers but I still love my bike. It looks so nice, its handles well, its comfortable, and its way cheaper. Plus I stunt a little but only on back roads and parking lots and i already get plenty of attention on it.
Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Dude -

Run it without the muffler - without doing ANYTHING and you ARE going to burn a valve or a hole the the pistion.

If you do nothing - It ain't IF - it's just how long it takes. "Seeing how it goes" is essentially saying you'll wait to see how long it takes for the top of the motor to burn to a crisp.

No - you won't hear it running badly because it'll run just fine. It's what happens after ignition that's at issue. No muffler - TONS more heat.

At $2500 a year for insurance......that's just silly to take such a risk on a NEW bike for a f'king fart-cannon.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi I got an 04 SV 650 S and i was just wondering if it possible to run without the muffler without re mapping or whatever. I know I'm going to get flamed for this but it sounds so nice, and it gets so much more attention.
:lol:

Hey thanks for all the replies everybody! I think Im going to try running it like that for now and see what happens, so then if sumthin does happen everybody can say i told u so. I admit I'd rather have a nice slip-on thats still loud but with a real nice clean sound. But i dont have that kind of money plus re-mapping must be alot too. I already stuggle to pay its $2,200 in insurance. And it at least sounds better then with it on, it serioulsy does sound like a lawnmower or somethin! The bike seems to run fine without it though. Even if it is running a bit lean, it cant be very much because i would be able to tell if it wasnt running right. Yo, and i would never ride a harley. I know they get a lot of attention them and choppers but I still love my bike. It looks so nice, its handles well, its comfortable, and its way cheaper. Plus I stunt a little but only on back roads and parking lots and i already get plenty of attention on it.
Thanks!!!
:lol: :lol:

I actually checked my watch to see if it was April 1'st....does anyone else smell a rat? I really hope so cause if not.... :shock:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi I got an 04 SV 650 S and i was just wondering if it possible to run without the muffler without re mapping or whatever. I know I'm going to get flamed for this but it sounds so nice, and it gets so much more attention.
:lol:

Thanks!!!
:lol: :lol:

I actually checked my watch to see if it was April 1'st....does anyone else smell a rat? I really hope so cause if not.... :shock:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh...and just in case you are serious...you really don't have to re-map if you get a slip-on. Save you some bucks...

N

·
0 Posts
What's with this need for "attention"? Man, if you're for real I'm embarassed for you. I hope you're not serious...

N

·
0 Posts
So if you haven't seen the movie (Napoleon Dynamite) you won't get it, and whats with the bashing. As far as attention goes you are posting off the subject (as I am now in retaliation). So take it easy, you have no enemies here, yet.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
It's your bike, and you know what could happen. I just hope the $2200/year insurance bill pays for engine work.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts