Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright over 2 plus months have passed since I have rode my motorcyle. I don't even go this long from riding even during the winter. I'm physically and mentally ready now. As far as my bike goes it is a little questionable. Being out of work for almost 2months income is tight right now. So putting the bike in prestine shape is going to have to wait a bit, but my urge to ride can't.
Ok after the accident I was able to ride her home 2hrs away in 100degree heat, and then to the emergency room the next day. The bike ran perfect minus the bent radiator. It had a tiny pinhole leak, the dropped a few drops here and there. No hover heating at all. My question is, can i just repair the tiny hole to get me by for several weeks. Also do you have to have bar ends on to ride?
I know I wouldn't be the 1st to ride a rashed bike, I figure it gives it personality, and a good reminder to me. Thanks for any comments you all might have, I really want to ride!!!!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
you definitely don't need barends to ride. at most they might help prevent yuor hands from slipping off the bars and decrease the amount of vibration you feel

as for the radiator, i imagine you can patch it up temporarily, or on a more permanent basis. i know there are people here using radiators that have been patched/fixed

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just what I wanted to hear. Ok now what should I use to seal the hole, jb weld?

·
Registered
8 Posts
JB Weld would probably work pretty good. If it's something on the outside of your radiator that has the hole in it, if it's on the inside use stop leak or something like that. Good luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
Listen closely.......whatever you do...DO NOT use stop leak. All that sh1t does is clog up your cooling system. Take it to a radiator shop and they can solder the hole for you

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
stranger said:
that i can't help with. sorry
LOL, at least you know your limits. ;D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phelix how bad of damage will the leak stop do? Talked to handful of people and they all say go for it since I will be putting a new radiator on in several weeks. If this will mess with more than my radaitor, i'll pass.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I cant tell you how many customers motors i have pulled apart that have used stop leak and see the coolant passages just caked full of that crap. Stop leak is only a last resort if you are stuck somewhere and have no other options. Do it the correct way and get it soldered.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Stop leak can clog up your Pump and cause on your coolant lines. It's impossible to get it completly cleaned out with out a total tear down.
USE WITH CAUTOIN.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
hmmm...how many miles are you planning to put on it? If it really is just a tiny pin hole, and you're not planning to put any big miles on it, and you're planning to replace the thing anyway in a few weeks, AND you'll keep a close eye on your water level, why not just try a little JB weld?

I personally wouldnt pull it and bring it to a radiator shop unless I was planning on trying to salvage the radiator...no reason to do this if you plan to buy a new radiator anyway, IMO.

Also, I personally wouldnt try to solder it myself. I have patched automotive radiators before (sometimes successfully, sometimes not), but they are copper and I'm pretty sure our bike radiators are aluminum...there's something about soldering aluminum, I cant quite remember, it's either impossible or very tricky to get it to stick right, or something like that.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Patch it up with JB Weld or something, then start looking on eBay for used radiators. Mine new was like $400 with shipping and hoses. You might have to look for a while, but if your current radiator isnt leaking much, ride with it and look. Had I waited another week I could have nabbed a perfect one for $200 or less.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i hear that you can pour a raw egg in ther rad in case of a emergency , don't no if would work or not to the extent you want it to.
You will find sv parts on ebay all the time , seams as if someone parts a SV a week there.
Would be a great place to start getting used parts slowly one by one.
Welcome back!

·
Registered
6 Posts
LOL @ egg you ever watch myth busters well it worked only slightly so it was plausible at best that it would work. ::). p.s. that wasn't an attack just thought it was funny :p

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice all. After 4 hours I got my bike back together. Here is the funny thing when I took it apart after the wreck, I put all the bolts and crap in one big bucket. It was like a gaint puzzle to get it all back together. I need to post a few pics, got these 2 bolts left over and have no clue to were they go.

I'm going to try the jb weld 1st. I will only have this rad. for less than 3 weeks. My local recyling yard has rad. for under $200 all day long. So in the mean time I will continue to check the fluid level. But that arrise a question. Can h2o be added to the rad. ? Also is there any easy way to get to the rad. cap?

Was told about the egg too, I'll pass.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I seem to recall "All4grog" having an accident that resulted in a damaged radiator. Somewhere in the responses to his post was a link to a radiator shop that had good prices and a fast turn around time. You may want to do a search for this and check them out before spending $200+ for a refurbished rad.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The radiator cap has a set screw, loosen that and the cap comes off just like a car cap, push and turn, then push and turn again. Yes, water can be added, Ideally you want to stick to around a 50/50 mix, but a little water to top it off wont hurt a damn thing. Try to use distilled water, but if you are going to flush the system in 3 weeks, regular water is just fine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool thanks figured water would be ok, just to top off. I passed on the liquid you put in the rad. to fix it. Got some stuff that works like jb weld. So far no leaks so thats a good sign.

;) I know how to take off a radiator cap just wondering how to get to it without taking off the front fairing

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
hmm...not sure, I've never tried. But it looks like you SHOULD be able to turn the handlebars all the way to the left and reach down in there and get it off. Walmart has funnels that have long thin flexible plastic tubing on the end that you should be able to get down in there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Abe Froman said:
I seem to recall "All4grog" having an accident that resulted in a damaged radiator.  Somewhere in the responses to his post was a link to a radiator shop that had good prices and a fast turn around time.  You may want to do a search for this and check them out before spending $200+ for a refurbished rad.
I've been there and done that. http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/ gets my thumbs up. They repaired a serious kink in my lowsided radiator for about $140 including shipping there and back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts