Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off...greetings to everyone on this board!  I am about to join the SV ranks when I purchase my bike sometime voer the next months. 

I really like that the SV650S has the sportbike look, with the dual headlights.  But, I also like that I can buy an SV650 for better prices.  I definitely want to go the aftermarket route with this bike, make it my own and whatnot...so a few questions

1)  Can I buy a 2003+ SV650 and add a bodykit (kgcycles, sharkskinz, etc...) that will also allow me to have the dual sportbike style headlights of the sv650s?  I dont need those necessarily, but anything like those...

3)  What all will be required for this? 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
I can't help you out totally, but from what I hear, converting a nekkid to an S model is quite the project. You'd be better off getting an S and doing what I did with a Sharkskinz fairing.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well im already planning on sinking mone into the body kit...so the only other factor is the headlight conversion...can anyone speak to that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Best bet is to find a "S" model owner who wants to convert to naked, and swap parts. Kinda hard to find a "S" owner that wants to convert, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
For 03+ (2nd gen) you just need:
Faring stay, upper triple tree, clip-ons (can be aftermarket), Lights (and wiring harness to lights b/c of 2 connectors), mirrors, windscreen (I would get aftermarket) and stuff that goes inside the faring like the dash, mounting brackets etc. I did not include the bits a peices like bolts, nuts, screws etc...

If your putting full body work on it anyway, dont bother with the half faring parts.

On 03-04 there is also a different radiator with a longer neck so you can get to it with the faring still on (you dont have to have this but it is nice).
The master cylinders are also different, I dont think you have to change them but if you wanted to complete the look you would need to swap this as well.

2nd gen is A LOT easier than the 1st gen.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Throttlecrazed said:
For 03+ (2nd gen) you just need:
Faring stay, upper triple tree, clip-ons (can be aftermarket), Lights (and wiring harness to lights b/c of 2 connectors), mirrors, windscreen (I would get aftermarket) and stuff that goes inside the faring like the dash, mounting brackets etc. I did not include the bits a peices like bolts, nuts, screws etc...
any estimate on what that might cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
I'm totally guessing, but about $150 for the conversion plus the bodywork. $700 for a Sharkskinz.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
03-SV650RR said:
I'm totally guessing, but about $150 for the conversion plus the bodywork.  $700 for a Sharkskinz.
wow...thats considerably lower than what i expected...might have to go this route.....2nd gen sv650 convert to s and get a new full fairing kit to boot. i like the way this is starting to sound ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
aclarkGTO said:
wow...thats considerably lower than what i expected...might have to go this route.....2nd gen sv650 convert to s and get a new full fairing kit to boot.  i like the way this is starting to sound  ;D
The project is simple.  I converted my 2004 sv650 to an 'S' model last year and I had no problems except waiting for the parts.  Just make sure you order the right amount of hardware and the cheapest you will be able to get it is at http://crotchrocket.com/.  The shipping is so cheap too and I didn't have any problems with their service. 

Also, if you like the real handle bar that's on your current naked model.  You won't have to swap it with clip-ons because it works find with the 'S' model's upper fairing.  Actually I'm not too sure how it'll work with the sharkskinz body.  Throttlecrazed gave you the list of things you need, so all you need is a diagram from http://www.ronayers.com/index.cfm and go to work.

Good luck!
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top