Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a completely new rider, I took the Harley Davidson Rider's Edge MSF course and wore my gloves that my GF gave me while learning all the basics. A couple of times I had a problem with over-revving the throttle especially on the emergency stop exercises. The instucter said it was possibly that my gloves were too grippy and dragging the throttle.

Now, no doubt this is also due to my noobness and I obviously need to learn presicion throttle control, but could the gloves be making things more difficult for me by being too grippy?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't think it's the gloves, perhaps you have spidey powers;D Seriously though, it's a common mistake that happens when learning and has to do with the way you are positioning your hand and wrist on the throttle. You want to keep a more level throttle hand, that way when you are in a position to grab the front brake you will be almost completely off the throttle. Just practice man, you'll get the hang of it quick. Also, try not to grip the throttle too hard, let the grippy gloves work for you.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
It sounds like a bit of noobishness to me, Could be hand position too. If you hook your thumbs around your grips and rest your hands on the levers the back of your hand should be perfectly straight with the top of your forearm.

Aside from that you just need to work on throttle control, after a year or so if someone asks you this question your just going to say "idk I just look at where I want to go and the rest just happens, I don't even know how I shift or turn exactly" lol

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
I ride with a Throttle Rocker

It's a ~$10 doohickey that allows me to contol my throttle with the heel of my hand. leaving my fingers free. I can cover the brake whenever I want and still keep up to about half throttle open. Lift the heel of my hand while gripping the bar with my thumb and I can be panic-stopping before the throttle spring returns it to close.

Can gloves be too "grippy?" Sure. They make gloves, boots and clothing out orf amazing materials and treat them with super-human engineered finishes that you can probably buy a pair of gloves that would let you climb a wall. But given your limited experience, I'd work on smoothing out your technique before looking for extra-operator causes for operator-related phenomena.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have the same problem when I learned panic braking. It's really about learning how to roll off onto the brake properly.

I think your instuctor gave you bad advice. I personally don't think it is a good practice to slide your hands on the grip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts