Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that if the basket was "imbalanced", that it would cause vibration. Well, for 2 years now my bike has had a bad vibration under hard acceleration........right at 5-6K RPM. And nothing has cured it.........not carb syncs, not valve adjustments, not bolt torquing, and not chains/sprockets. So what else is left? Do you think it could indeed be the basket? How much do those things cost?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Long shot

Clutches on the SV are component balanced (each part balanced individually). I would doubt that would be the source of the vibration. Also, vibration due to imbalance is there all the time, not just under acceleration. You may be feeling normal high-load V-twin shake.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it never had this vibration new, it just gradually started happening around the 10K miles point. It has 50K now. And I've heard of other people who had mis-weighted clutch baskets from the factory.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Hard to say

I can't help with a diagnosis, but if the clutch is out of balance now it would have been out of balance new. And, as I said, imbalance shakes all the time. It's like an out of balance wheel. You may feel it more at one speed than at others, but it's constant, independent of acceleration or deceleration.

·
Registered
24 Posts
although, I believe with wear or uneven wear it may cause imbalance thus causing your vibration. in some cases even a unbalanced wheel will cause vibrations at low speed then smooth out at high speed and vice-versa. the frequency of the rotating wheel may counter act that of the drive shaft/drivetraing .etc. almost like a counter balance shaft on a engine of a car.

car tires need balance from time to time

the above information is from a car, not a motorcycle. but same principle.

anyhow, I think your unbalanced clutch basket may be the cause.

I am a car mechanic, not a motorcycle mechanic.

maybe I dunno what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Dillweed said:
I was told that if the basket was "imbalanced", that it would cause vibration. Well, for 2 years now my bike has had a bad vibration under hard acceleration........right at 5-6K RPM. And nothing has cured it.........not carb syncs, not valve adjustments, not bolt torquing, and not chains/sprockets. So what else is left? Do you think it could indeed be the basket? How much do those things cost?

do you have stock exaust/jets? as Andy said, v-twin shake, I really don't remember feeling it with stock exaust/jetting, but now, seems like I can feel every pulse of the engine firing under hard acceleration and it's most noticable under 6k

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I'll try again

Whatever is causing the shake, it doesn't sound like imbalance. As I said, imbalance is constant, changes with speed or RPM, but doesn't get worse with acceleration and then better when acceleration stops (steady speed).

Go back to basics. Check the plugs to see if the mixture is right, synch the carbs.

To see if it's imbalance get going in low gear (go to a road with no traffic so you can test safely) and slowly creep up in RPM. Do the same through the gears. If it's imbalance it will do one of two things: It may start shaking at a particular speed, get a bit worse as speed and RPM increases, then gets better. If it does this then have your wheels and tires checked for balance. If it gets worse and worse and buzzier and buzzier, then it may be some engine component (or possibly out of synch carbs or a bad plug). V-twins do have some shake. If the shake is worse under acceleration than under steady speed, it's probably not imbalance.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stock exhaust, stock intake.......just an extra washer or whatever added to the jets. The vibration is only between 5-6K, and gets worse the harder I accelerate. Also, after it's been ridden 15-20 min the clutch starts grabbing in 1st. In other words, it pauses for a half-second, slips, and then grabs. Gets worse the harder you try to launch. This bike sucks.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Curiouser and curiouser

So you are stopped in 1st and begin to release the clutch. Instead of engaging it does nothing, then starts to engage with a good bit of slip, then suddenly grabs hard. Is this what you're saying? If so, does it feel the same in the shift from 1st to 2nd, etc.?

If so then you may have either warped plates or a bent clutch basket. How hard to you normally ride the bike, particularly on launch? The SV clutch is a pretty stout, reliable piece in general.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Curiouser and curiouser

andyauger said:
So you are stopped in 1st and begin to release the clutch. Instead of engaging it does nothing, then starts to engage with a good bit of slip, then suddenly grabs hard. Is this what you're saying?.
That is exactly what I'm saying.

Does it only from a stop.

And this is just "average" acceleration, meaning not slow, but no quicker than an average SV owner would accelerate from a light.

How much do the parts you're describing cost?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Don't know

Maybe someone else could chime in here, but it really sounds like a problem with the clutch plates. I've never done a plate job on an SV. My guess is that a set of friction plates would run in the $50 range, you'll need a new cover gasket, and you need to make sure the metal plates are completely flat. A granite counter or a piece of plate glass helps to check them out. If they're warped at all you should replace them also.

While you're in there you could examine the basket itself to see if there is anything obviously wrong.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an extended warranty. I know that it won't cover the friction plates, but what about the basket? That can't be warped by normal wear can it?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Doubt it

I suppose anything's possible, but I would seriously doubt that the drive hub or basket could get that hot in the oil bath.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts