Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 gsxr front rim that I got off of ebay. I finally got it today, but I found a kink :mad: The seller had no mention of a kink, and you couldn't see it from the picture. The kink isn't bad, the tire that came with it still holds air. My question is can i take it to my local shop and have it fixed, or would it be my best interest to buy another one?

·
Registered
787 Posts
i am no pro but i would'nt ride on a kinked rim, god forbid you find out doing 100mph that it fails, report him to ebay that he sucks and get a new one

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
well... I had a mishap with a manhole cover sticking up about 3 inches that put nice kink in my SV rim last year... it threw the balance off just a tad but held air and I rode it for trackday with no probs. I looked later into getting it fixed and you might find someone that take a malet and pound it back into shape but... from what I have seen... it should really be heated adn worked back into shaped slowly then measured with gauges for accuracy. I found a couple of places on net that do this and each seemed to cost about $130 plus shipping.

so my rim now sits in garage until I get extra cash to send it out to one of these places and I just bought a rim on ebay that was a little rough but pretty straight and true to use for now... then I will have 2 wheels when other is fixed.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I've worked out some pretty bad bends in aluminum car rims with a piece of wood and a rubber mallet.  If you're handly like that you may be able to do it (I would....).  Of course some will tell you that if you so much as look at it the wrong way that the aluminum will fracture, react with the Fe2O3 in the atmosphere and cause you to die in a firey burst that will also endanger the entire state you reside in  ;D

Yea, anyway... if you don't want to DIY there are shops that will fix it but there specialty shops and the local bike shop won't touch it.  

·
Registered
171 Posts
It doesn't sound like it's very bad. I'd pound it back if you can. Should be okay. But definately tell the seller about it.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Like "The Man" Donnie said, piece of wood and rubber mallet can do wonders. Takes some dedication, but I saved a few quad rims and a dirt bike rim from being scrapped. Of course they are off-road vehicles so balance isnt a huge issue, but the felt alright on the road. Hell, I'd at least test it out first to see how it feels, ya know?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I know a guy who is a master at fixing bent rims on the cheap too I highly recomend this guy http://www.mcwheel.com/ I used this guy after my bike was stolen and obviously ran over a curb. The wheel this guy is holding up on the site is about as bad as mine but mine was a little worse. Good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kevin said:
I know a guy who is a master at fixing bent rims on the cheap too I highly recomend this guy http://www.mcwheel.com/ I used this guy after my bike was stolen and obviously ran over a curb. The wheel this guy is holding up on the site is about as bad as mine but mine was a little worse. Good luck

wow....my rim is no where near as bad as the one in the pic. I'll report him, I'll also try the wood and rubber mallet. Thanks guys:)

Here's a link to the ad. Note he is not a registered user(anymore) You can see the scratch, but I couldn't see a kink. How about you?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4568899769&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah, I can kind of make out the kink.

But like as already been said, it's fixable. I know a local shop (in Tempe, AZ) that does stuff like this and is GOOD at it. $70 even. Does a great job.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I think the mcwheel guy is where I got the $130 price... not exactly cheap... but I am not 100% positive that was his price... it does appear he does good work though

one thing about ebay... if there is not much info such as the ad says nothing about wheel being true and no bends or kinks and really not much info at all.... I would think that means they don't want to say the begatives and thus can't be held accountable if someone is not happy because said tiem never claimed to be anything better. I see many damaged items sold this way. Always ask questions but even then... if they don't provide the info up front on the page, which something like kinks or bends is something every wheel buyer would want to know....then I would really consider if its worth the price ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Someone just posted recently about this on DCSportbikes.net. Might've been you, if not, search over there for that thread.

·
Registered
500 Posts
When I said cheap fo MCWheel I meant cheap in relation to buying a new wheel. Plus no local shop in Charlotte would touch my wheel and just laughed. The MCWheel guy can fix wheels that other people can't.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Kevin said:
When I said cheap fo MCWheel I meant cheap in relation to buying a new wheel. Plus no local shop in Charlotte would touch my wheel and just laughed. The MCWheel guy can fix wheels that other people can't.
I am thinking comparing to used wheel on ebay which go for $150-$225 so $130 plus shipping costs didn't sound cheap to me ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts