·
MOTORADOR
10,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:-*

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
A bike can stop faster than a car. (Or vice versa. Let me pick the two example vehicles and I can make the result come out either way.) Bikes, in general, do not stop faster, or more importantly, in a shorter distance than cars in general.

"Mmm-kay?"
:lmao:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Only if the rider knows how to use the brakes and stays off the front. 100% rear brakes = that's how all the MotoGP riders do it. Front brakes are for stunters and squids.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
I realize some of you think I'm just being dickish about this, but in my experience one of the most persistent and deadliest mistakes riders (and drivers) make is to overestimate their own abilities and the technical capabilities of their vehicles. Chances are you actually can't out-brake the car ahead of you. And if you erroneously imagine you can, you are much more likely to wind up trying to climb in the trunk of that car, head-first; no-hands.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
A good car with good summer performance tires will outstop just about ANY bike in a pure straight line panic-type stop. Simple physics. CG much lower on the car as well as a longer wheelbase. Friction of contact patch doesn't limit most sportbikes...it is the stoppie. My SVT Focus will clear air with the back tires for a bit on a maximum stop with Conti Contact's.

Plus a maximum braking event on a bike is 'this' (holding up two fingers pinching nearly together) close to a crash. The cage driver stomps and holds on and will win most of the time. Corvette (or similar) will win EVERY time.:) At least that is my position and I'm stickin' to it.

Edit: There are situations of VERY high speed stops where some cars might smoke the brakes and be unable to maintain its' braking advantage over a bike, so that would be a win for the bike....but most street stops, most of the time you'll eat car bumper if you don't leave a LOT of room.:)

·
MOTORADOR
10,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you start enough troll threads, people will start thinking that you are a troll.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
A M88A2 (Hercules) will stop faster than those two.

·
MOTORADOR
10,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A M88A2 (Hercules) will stop faster than those two.
Wow, that thing has lots of contact patch!

If you start enough troll threads, people will start thinking that you are a troll.
Are you people? :naughty:

Sent from my other shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
MOTORADOR
10,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nah, I'm just really really tired and really really bored. And no, I cannot sleep.

I feel like:

·
Registered
818 Posts
I guess that explains your post on the other thread as well. :)

FWIW, this could be a good thread if the question were properly phrased. There are just too many variables to make a good thread out of it as posted.

·
MOTORADOR
10,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yah, I guess the troll in me wanted to throw that vague question as is just to see the responses. ;D

Did I just admit trolling :facepalm:

Ok, time for bed.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Only if the rider knows how to use the brakes and stays off the front. 100% rear brakes = that's how all the MotoGP riders do it. Front brakes are for stunters and squids.

You're joking, right?

+1 on the Focus lifting the rear off the ground briefly; I've done it in my SVT. I *just* missed kissing the side panel of the car that pulled out in front of me when it happened. Had I been on the SV, I probably would have hit the car.

·
MOTORADOR
10,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Die thread... die!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.