Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In almost every country I have been to it is OK to camp just about anywhere as long as your not trespassing and/or damaging private grounds. I've never gone camping here in the States but it looks to me like there are lots regulations/guidelines on where you can and where you cannot set up your camping gear.

As stated in another thread, I want to go out touring for a week with my wife and we are planning on camping most of the nights without having to plan too much ahead and request special permissions, etc.

What is the general rule of thumb for camping "by the road"?

THANKS!

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Camp armed.

(Legally of course)

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Camping on public lands in the US is regulated, but generally available for a small fee. There is also an abundance of private campgrounds that you can look up in advance of your trip; they generally don't require reservations, and cost about $15 / night.

For guerrilla camping, I have heard that when out in the country, camping behind a church is your best bet. Set up at dusk, and be out by dawn. Nobody is there to question or mess with you, particularly if there is a graveyard out back. Never tried it myself, though.

I've also heard that farmers will sometimes let you camp on their land, if you promise to be out by morning, clean up after yourself, and not sleep with their daughters.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
If you're going to be in farm/ranch country, just ask a random land owner if you can pitch a tent for the night. My experience is that almost none mind as long as you don't make noise or a mess. I wouldn't push it and start a fire though. Looking clean cut will increase your odds greatly.

Camping behind churches can be hit or miss. Probably the worst that could happen is a local cop setting you on your way in the middle of the night. No fires, and I would strongly advise against alcohol.

The weirdest that I've done was the median strip of an interstate. It was dark, I was tired, and out before 8am. not a chance of fire, don't even use a flashlight more than necessary.

BLM land is free for the taking, just find a spot to put up your tent and pack out all of your trash (including human waste if you're following the rules).

State and Fed campgrounds (as well as private ones) offer more services, but you are going to have to pay for them and put up with other people being around you, almost on top of you at times. Often these may require advance reservations, especially on weekends. I've given up on private campgrounds and usually choose open land over a formal state/fed run campground.

Some people like solitude, others like having a trash barrel and a toilet nearby, choose what matters to you.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The higher the population density, the more restrictions you will find. Near where I live, most Forest Service and BLM land is open for camping. Down where my sister lives, in SoCal, you need to buy a pre-arranged permit to park and step on the ground in the National Forest.
Here's a good link for free and cheap camping: http://www.eugenecarsey.com/camp/default.htm

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
A great place for stealth camping has always been access roads (usually dirt or gravel) leading to either microwave relay towers, wind turbines, or any other gas well type short roads (millions of them everywhere).
Same rules reply. In at dusk, out at dawn. Leave no waste.
Never been hassled.
GL

P.S.
Use a natural-colored tent, as well as bag and pad. No need standing out.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I've done public lands, freeway median, and cemeterys. Never thought of a church, but they sort of give me the creeps. Probably pretty safe though. (unless you're a young male and it's a Catholic church :))

Orchards can be good but some may spray at night because it's generally more calm.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Camping "by the road" is not covered in the US Constitution

its one of those 10th amendment things, up to the state yer in

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks peeps :)

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've done public lands, freeway median, and cemeterys. Never thought of a church, but they sort of give me the creeps. Probably pretty safe though. (unless you're a young male and it's a Catholic church :))

Orchards can be good but some may spray at night because it's generally more calm.
Soooo cemetery you are OK with sleeping in but its the church that gives you the creeps??? Interesting.

Sorry, no advice from me, was just kind of curious about this too, but I kind of figured, stay away from the road and out of site, and no one should bother you.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Soooo cemetery you are OK with sleeping in but its the church that gives you the creeps??? Interesting.

Sorry, no advice from me, was just kind of curious about this too, but I kind of figured, stay away from the road and out of site, and no one should bother you.

Churches seem to be filled with narrow-minded people bent on converting/preaching to you. A cemetery just has dead bodies buried under it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Be careful, I usually try to camp away from roads/trails. There's a lot of weirdos out there wondering around at night. I remember camping in Joshua tree and seeing people strung out on drugs wondering the desert.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts