Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i think i stripped (cammed?) the head of the screw that the headlight adjuster uses.

This would be the one bottom dead center of the round headlight that is attached to a spring correct?
I tried tightening it, and there was plenty of room to go, but i cammed out the head too many times and i doubt i'll even be able to get it removed even if i am able to find a replacement

Speaking of repalcements, if i can get it out is it a popular screw that i can get from say "ACE" or does anyone know the screws pitch/diameter off hand?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
It should be your normal metric bolt. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and match it up against the fitment things they have there. Failing that, just compare the thread pitch and diameter against other bolts. You can find matching ones with the naked eye. Failing that, simply try screwing on different size metric bolts.

Then it's just a matter of getting the right length.

There are a few ways of getting it out. You could put a notch across the face of it in order to use a flathead screwdriver. You could also buy some "left handed" drill bits which spin anti-clockwise, and just drillin, with the friction hopefully unscrewing the bolt. If this alone fails, you at least have a hole made for an ez-out or something.

But before doing any of that, spray it with a good amount of penetrating oil and leave it to soak in for a while.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
First, did you loosen the two screws on the side of the headlight to allow it to rotate while you adjust the headlight? If you don't, you'll have trouble turning the adjuster screw.

Once you have those two screws loose, you can squeeze the bucket against the adjuster bracket to compress the spring and relieve the tension on the screw/nut. The nut is plastic, so it really shouldn't be that difficult to turn.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i definitely did NOTloosen the two screws on the side of the headlight i assume the two larger of the hex bolts that secure it from "wobbling" up and down? i'm also having problems with a bit of wobbling (very minor but noticeable)

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
Uhhhh...it's the two screws closest to the front of the bike at 3 and 9 o'clock. Just crack them loose. Don't unscrew them. There's nuts on the inside that hold wire loops that hold the wiring out of the way and if you unscrew them all the way, the nuts will drop into the bottom of the headlight bucket and you'll have to remove the reflector to fish them out.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
There are a few ways of getting it out. You could put a notch across the face of it in order to use a flathead screwdriver. You could also buy some "left handed" drill bits which spin anti-clockwise, and just drillin, with the friction hopefully unscrewing the bolt. If this alone fails, you at least have a hole made for an ez-out or something.
If you cut a slot into the screw, try to under cut it, so a side view of the slot would look like / \ not \ /
You think you can do | |, but you can't!

Or, if you have a good pair of ViceGrips, you can grab the other end of the screw and back it out from there.
After the screw is removed (you didn't launch the spring did you? :naughty: ), see if you can swivel the headlight smoothly by hand.
If not, you need to loosen the nuts inside the headlight shell. These bolts are hinge pins and don't need to be tight at all.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
They at least need to be snug. Don't want them falling out on the highway :naughty:
Should be self-locking nuts, tightened to contact plus one turn, like an oil filter. If they aren't, Ace is the place!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts