Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a trip planned to Deal's this spring, and I'd like to get some video. I have a ram mount coming to mount a GPS, but wanna get a camera on there too.

I'm looking for a still camera that takes good quality video. Reason being, I don't want to have my video camera along for the trip, and it's bigger.

I was looking at a Fujifilm Z20fd, but haven't found many others. Anyone else use a still camera for riding videos? what are you using?

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I bought the new wide angle go pro. http://www.goprocamera.com/ I've had a couple of issues with it. First, the camera is encased in a lexan case. Great idea, but its difficult to tell when the thing is on. Sometimes I feel a click, but the camera does not turn on or off. It flashes red in the viewfinder while on, but its hard to see from the rear.

Second, the wide angle lens, while taking a wide view, tends to decrease the sense of speed and distance. Tight turns seem no so tight. So, the combination leads to boring video because you can take a hairpin turn marked 15 mph at 45 and it translates into "no big deal" on the video.

Other than those two issues, the camera works great and takes high quality video. The mount holds the camera rock solid and the video quality shown on the Go Pro site is indicative of the quality that I get with my camera.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I like Snowman's setup, but I have full fairings so I can't use the radiator bracket. I'm still going to use the "L" bracket, but instead of the radiator bracket, I'm going to use the fork reflector hole. The camera will still be vertical, but down closer to the road.

I like the idea of the case and cutting a hole for the lens. Would a small piece of lexan or clear plastic fit in the case with the camera? This would cover the hole to create a shield for the lens and it might dampen the noise somewhat.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have to say the Canon A590is is one of the best inexpensive cameras, it's the only camera for around $120 that has an optical image stabilizer,good macro mode and it also works on standard AA batts. If your looking for pocket size, consider the Canon sd-1100is similar features as the A590is but smaller and comes with a lithium battery/charger priced at around $160. I'm currently using the Canon a570is, previous model before A590is. Here's a vid I shot with it, watch in high quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHiurrPDhOI&feature=channel_page

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got a z20fd, I tried sticking it in my helmet once and it just didn't work. I think because I have the built-in breath guard in my helmet, most vloggers would just take the breath guard out but I can't do that without cutting it. The video and sound quality was good, I just didn't like having the camera up against my mouth the whole time. The camera takes decent pictures and the video button on the top is awesome.

I just got a helmetcamera.com setup for christmas so I'll be using that once it warms up here in Chicago.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be using a RAM mount on the bars, and possibly some other places on the bike to get some cool angles.

In-helmet video isn't a necessity, but would be nice. I stumbled across a Sony DSC-T500, that takes 720p HD video. Hmmm.... Hi-Def videos from Deal's Gap... sounds awfully tempting.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I tried to go the DSC in helmet route..3 issues:

(1) Have to cut or trim the foam in the chin area to make the camera fit and tilt at the correct angle under/on your nose.

(2) The image stabilization sucks, so you either get weird artifacts with image stabilization on, or you get really bouncy video (though being in helmet is much smoother than on bike, due to neck absorber)

(3) Only 10 minute videos!!!!! (No matter storage size or battery life, you're locked to 10 minute clips, then you have to press the button again, and if you don't hit again in time, it will sleep, then you have to turn it on and record again (tricky to do when it is in your helmet and you can't see the screen under your nose).

-----

I've been thinking about using a flip mino, which is limited to about an hour of video, but after seeing the quality on the goprocamera thing, I'm thinking it might be worth giving up the "in helmet" option.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I mounted my cannon gl-2 on my bike and did a quick run with it.

word to the wise: Dont do that. Ill tell you what happens is that the tape cant rotate properly inside the camera because of the g forces acting on the camera. You end up with the film getting chewed up and spit out by the camera and destroying any video you had on it

On the other hand, I bought a cheap best buy camera with solid state recording and made this video test, that worked out pretty well.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/07-SV-650-acceleration_156462.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.