Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

As some of you might know, I was in an accident recently that was completely the other person's fault. I'm dealing with her insurance and I don't like the tune they are singing.

I have a 2000 SV650 naked. Assume the bike was in good condition. Roughly about 19K miles. Here are the list of mods done to the bike:

Stainless steel braided lines with EBC HH pads front and back
Reworked forks - heavier springs from Sonic and heavier fork oil. New fork oil seals. Preload caps included
Suburban Machinery Type II bars
Carbon fibre mirrors
Carbon fibre bar ends
R6 throttle tube
Muzzy stainless steel full exhaust system with stepped headers.
Rejetted carbs (152.5 main front, 150 rear, 17.5 pilots and 2 shims under the needle - dyno tuned)
4 degree ignition advance
2nd and 3rd gear ignition retard disabled
Desnorkeled filter with tank risers
2002 GSX-R 600 rear sets
ZX10 rear shock with battery mounted securely
SVRaceShop 100mm dogbones
Z6 tyres front and back with LOTS of miles left on both
Factory rear seat cowl
Motosliders frame and swingarm sliders

What I would like from people working in dealerships is this: What would an equivalent bike sell for in your dealership? I need this because the insurance company is trying to screw me over and I don't want that happening.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
*bump for a good cause*
I dont know, but good luck Maritan.
Sorry to hear that they are being pricks as they usually are.
They are the nicest people in the world as long as you are paying your premium, but after you get into a wreck or forget a payment, they are pricks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
sounds like you're dealing with the other person's insurance company on your own?
my personal experience has been to let my insurance company deal with the other person's insurance company, i think that you'd get less screwed.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
i don't work at a dealership but i don't think most dealers around here would touch a bike with 19K on it let alone a 2000, but maybe $2500-$3000 the accessories you should have receipts for and the insurance company should at least give you a percentage on the value of those as well

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had a similar experience with the insurance company. They basically offered me KBB retail value for my 2003 SVS + 50% of the mods if I could provide receipts. Looks like for your bike the KBB retail value is $3500.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Hate to say it - but dealers don't look at the mods and add money. Matter of fact - we often look at stock bikes as more valuable. They're easier to sell when not so completely personalized.

Bottome line - average retail, I'm told, is $2,900 for a 2000 with 19k on the odometer. That's per NADA. KBB is a crock of crap a lot of times. It's also not the book the insurance company is looking at. Dollars to donuts, they're looking at the NADA book.

That may not be what you want to hear - but unless you can prove the mods, the insurance company is covering their collective a$$es.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i recently went through totalling a bike.... :(, anyway, my list of mods were noted (similar to yours) and i got about half the value because their reasoning is that the part which was taken off was worth a certain dollar amount, so by adding $50 carbon fibre mirrors to had to remove $25 stock mirrors, thus making the mod worth only $25.  and sometimes the removed part is worth more/cost more to replace than the aftermarket, i.e. exhaust.
it sucks but short of dragging out the process over several months for a couple hundred bucks you're essentially stuck.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
My insurance covers me for $1k in accessories above book value

I would make the claim thru my company then they would get reimbursed by the other company

G

·
jhaag said:
i recently went through totalling a bike.... :(, anyway, my list of mods were noted (similar to yours) and i got about half the value because their reasoning is that the part which was taken off was worth a certain dollar amount, so by adding $50 carbon fibre mirrors to had to remove $25 stock mirrors, thus making the mod worth only $25.  and sometimes the removed part is worth more/cost more to replace than the aftermarket, i.e. exhaust.
it sucks but short of dragging out the process over several months for a couple hundred bucks you're essentially stuck. 
If that's the case, and you know the price of each, might you just tell them the cost of the more expensive part, e.g.,
'No sir, that was a stock rim. Yeah, the SV came with spinnas'.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
RandyO said:
My insurance covers me for $1k in accessories above book value

I would make the claim thru my company then they would get reimbursed by the other company
Really, only 1K is do you not have many mods? I carry 3K in optional ins for my mods.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Woody106 said:
Really, only 1K is do you not have many mods?  I carry 3K in optional ins for my mods.
it's not for mods, it's for accessories, I don't have any mods that are worth insuring, aftermarket exaust is cheaper than stock

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Like Reufus said, modified bikes are usually worth less than stock bikes. If the accident was the other person's fault and you are dealing with their insurance company that company will naturally try to hold down the payout. And, as another poster noted, it is common practice to deduct the value of the stock parts removed. This is not peculiar to motorcycles or cars, it is common practice in any insurance claim. The parts you removed were assets you still have or have sold for $$.

You can buy supplemental insurance for modifications on your own bike. This works only for claims on your own bike, like if it were stolen. If you have supplemental insurance then you could read your policy and see if you can file a claim through your own insurance.

One of the reasons expensive modifications are risky on vehicles is that you often lose the money you've invested.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Before someone else takes possession of the bike, go remove anything you want off of it.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
RandyO said:
it's not for mods, it's for accessories, I don't have any mods that are worth insuring, aftermarket exaust is cheaper than stock
Yours might be, mines not. Mine costs just as much if not more than stock.
Plus I dont know about your insurance, but mine (dairyland) will cover the stock pipe, under the regular coverage, then my additional coverage will buy me a new set of pipes. So I could get 2 sets outta one wreck...... but then again I dont wanna wreck.

Woody

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.