Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I did my valve check and the 2nd gen cam swap and everything seemed to be in order. I've put about 500mi on since then without any issues, except for the last couple of days I've been noticing that it's been idling kinda rough and it seemed to be missing when maintaining constant throttle.

Fast forward to two nights ago. I'm getting on the highway to go to work and as soon as I get on the throttle I loose one of the cylinders. I decide to try and make it home on a 325, well I get to within about 8 blocks of home when something let loose and it started rattling. It was what I would imagine it would sound like if a cam chain let loose. I shut it down and pushed it the rest of the way home.

Yesterday I tore the valve covers off and everything looked in order except that I can't manually turn the engine through all 4 strokes of the motor, it stops and locks up at I believe the TDC of the exhaust stroke on the rear cylinder. By that I assumed that my timing had somehow gotten off.

Well, I checked the timing this morning and both the front and rear cylinders seem to still be in time. Right now I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I've sent an email out to Zoran and I'm now asking for your help. If you have any ideas as to what I should be looking for next or live in the DesMoines/Ames Iowa area and wouldn't mind lending a helping hand it would be greatly appreicated.

Beer, food, and gas $ will be provided to anyone willing to come help.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Zach

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Zoran got back to me and he noticed that there was only 15 pins between the two timing marks. I'm almost positive that when you put it back together there was 16. I pulled the cylinder head and this was the carnage I found.

Notice the broken valve.

Here is said broken valve stuck in piston :mad:

·
Registered
191 Posts
From the basic info here I would guess it dropped a valve and the valve or part of the valve is sitting on top of the piston stopping the motor from turning over. You can't tell anything with the valve cover off because shim under bucket set up. You have to pull the cams and buckets to figure out which one it is.
It would appear you were updating while I was typing.
It looks like the valves seat and head and cylinder are OK. I would pull the other head and send them out to be checked. There might be other bend valves.
I did the same cam swap 6 months ago but used the APE manual timing chain adjusters. Suzuki has had a long history of lame automatic timing chain adjuster on GSX-Rs, SVs etc.
This weekend I plan to check valve clearances again and adjust the tensioners since I will spend the next 4-5 months flogging it at track days.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the head with me to work tonight and looked at it in the light and the head is fooked the valve seal is broke and the valve seat has a pretty good nick in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts