Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been collecting parts for my GSXR fork conversion. I have a Hayabusa wheel with the 320mm rotors. I got the custom spacers (14mm) done and had to resource the caliper bolts.

I found that the 70mm bolts do not thread one full diameter into the fork legs and ended up sticking 80mm bolts in there instead.

The 80mm bolts I have are Black Oxide finish. I have no hopes that these will survive one day of rain. (exaggeration but whatever).

Anyone else replace stuff with black oxide? if so did you paint them, antisieze? Should I try to find other bolts?:vroom:

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I have been collecting parts for my GSXR fork conversion. I have a Hayabusa wheel with the 320mm rotors. I got the custom spacers (14mm) done and had to resource the caliper bolts.

I found that the 70mm bolts do not thread one full diameter into the fork legs and ended up sticking 80mm bolts in there instead.

The 80mm bolts I have are Black Oxide finish. I have no hopes that these will survive one day of rain. (exaggeration but whatever).

Anyone else replace stuff with black oxide? if so did you paint them, antisieze? Should I try to find other bolts?:vroom:
I'm always leery of non-OE bolts in vehicles... Can you get brake caliper bolts of the right length from a different model bike, from a dealer? If not, I'd get grade 8(/class 10.9) bolts, and make sure they are shoulder bolts if they need to be.

Apologies if you're already aware of the concern, but it also might keep others who reads this thread from just getting any old hardware store bolts to hold their brakes on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have found (searching) 80mm bolts are not OE for anyone.

The bolts I am using are grade 10.9 (or what ever the grade 8 equivalent in metric is)

I just prefer yellow zinc hardware, no rust stains!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I understand the OP's situation to be that there are no OE bolts that are long enough to have reliable thread engagement, given his use of 14mm caliper spacers.

I would go with grade 12.9 socket head cap screws. They are generally only available black oxide. I poke holes in a cardboard box, stick the bolts in it, hose them down with brake cleaner, hit them with LPS cold galvanizing spray (99% zinc when dry) and then follow up with semi-gloss black Rustoleum. Works pretty well.

Or if you have space for the flange, ARP stainless flange head bolts are the bing shizzy. I have a bunch of them on my Husky.

I also really like these from McMaster-Carr, but not available in the length required here:

Metric Zinc-Coated Class 12.9 Alloy Steel
Class 12.9 screws are high strength and coated with a layer of zinc for rust resistance. Size M3 screws are zinc plated; all other sizes have a coating of zinc flake, which provides 600 hours of salt spray resistance. All screws are fully threaded and have a Class 5g6g thread fit. They have a minimum Rockwell hardness of C37 and tensile strength of 174,000 psi. Dimensions meet DIN 912/ISO 4762. Screw length is measured from under the head.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up reading a bit about zinc plating, and plated them myself. Total cost was $20 bux, but It was educational and fun! .. sort of!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts