Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,

For speeding 1-15 over limit, the tix is around $250; for 16-30 it's around $500. However, I cannot find how much it is for going over 100mph on the freeway (speed limit 65). The nominal fine is listed as $500+, but I know they always tag a ton of fees onto it, and they can be as much, or more than the ticket itself. Do any of you have any first-hand experience of how much it ends up being?

What was the insurance hike you got after that?

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I'd be seeing a lawyer for 100+. Here in Missouri, it could (depending on the judge's mood) be construed as a felony (reckless endangerment). Even if not, I always hand the ticket over to a lawyer, get it reduced to a non moving violation, pay the "court costs", no points, nothing on the insurance record. Just a (very) high $$ parking ticket..

·
Administrator
11,045 Posts
A wise man once said ”Straights are for looking at the nature around me, not for speeding. So mods regarding the engine are not my main interest, unless it's something that will improve my ride in terms of reliability/smoothness.”

Oh, wait, that was you!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: mad8vskillz

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My SV is mostly stock. No engine upgrades, the 1st owner put a Yoshimura exhaust on and I upgraded the suspension. That's mostly it. But the SV, out of the factory easily breaks through 100mph barrier.

Hard to see much around you when it's 11pm and it's generally dark, and all you can see is the bright headlights to the left, and red tail lights ahead and to your right. I didn't miss any of the patrol cars, but I couldn't spot the helicopter behind me... Couldn't hear it, either.

Yup, I hired a lawyer in the area. In CA it's just an infraction, albeit an expensive one. No reckless driving charge. I was mostly in one lane, and I always use blinkers when changing lanes, regardless of speed. Where I think it's gonna hurt is the fact that I have six vehicles registered and insured in my name. If my rate goes up, that will be more than the fine and the lawyer.

·
Administrator
11,045 Posts
I got a speeding ticket in the Central Valley about three years ago (I did not see the "Reduced Speed Zone" sign on the highway). I paid the fine and never saw any increase on my insurance, which still shows me as a "clean driver" so...

Reactions: yarek

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah. I wonder. Normal speeding is 1 point, and if you're less than 25mph over the limit, you take a stupid class to take the point off. For 3 digits it's 2 points, which again: I don't know if that will move the needle. I'm extremely watchful as it comes to black-n-whites and in 20 years of constantly speeding, I only missed one before. This is the second, but I think using a helicopter at night is cheating. It's like fishing with a hand grenade or hunting with a machine gun. Try getting me in an equal fight!

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Yea...the helo's are not playing fair, but if the shoe were on the other foot I'd be using them in a heartbeat....but wouldn't just give tickets to make the State money like they do. In CA can't you speed as many times as you want....so long as you go to Traffic Court and pay the fines? Here in PA it's different and your points stay with you for a long enough time to be bothersome. I was once clocked at 100 over posted limits but never found out what the fine was because I was gone. In that situation there's no sense stopping as there is no way they can prove you knew that they were chasing you even if you get caught. It's not going to be a good day if that should be the outcome so it's a dangerous game that should be fully understood before choosing to play. Now I'm mostly speed limit +20'ish trying to be responsible...but it's hard, and I'm old...should have seen me in my wilder days. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, they had one of those new SUVs that can pull 150mph and the freeway was pretty empty. With my top speed of 133-134, I stood no chance. Didn't even consider that an option. I also was away from my home turf and didn't know where to go into the hood... Ah well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts