Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my research with everyone, apologies if this is common knowledge. I took a tumble at the track and put a good dent in my tank and messed up the paint. I know I should probably live with it, but it drives me crazy so I started researching my options.

Numerous tanks show up on eBay and around here, but they aren't CA tanks, have rust, or are different colors, or are dented. So new looked like the direction I would need to go.

Here is the part number you will find for a new tank for my particular model year, California bike (E33):
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/suzuki/SP-44100-16G22-YD8.html

~$700 for the painted tank alone.....

However, there was a recall for California models 03-06, both SV650 and SV1000 to replace the tank. When Suzuki does a recall they use a different part number for the parts and these part numbers are missing from every online part diagram I've seen. You can see the details for the various models/colors part numbers in the link below:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM5686046/RCRIT-06V013-7427.PDF

The alternate part numbers also include, "All required parts including emblems, general warning labels, tape, cushions and moldings to replace the fuel tank including the fuel pump O-ring will be provided when one of the special campaign part numbers is ordered" At a minimum that means those part numbers come with the side emblems, stickers, and the Fuel pump O-ring.

Partzilla, as well as many other online distributes can get a hold of these recall part numbers.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/suzuki/SP-44010-16G20-YD8.html

$461.95

So for you California owners having a hell of a time finding a good tank, take a look at these recall part #s. They are cheaper, come with more stuff, are available in all the colors for 03-06 models, and are available for purchase.

I called up Partzilla, who talked to Suzuki and Suzuki confirmed they have them in stock. I went ahead and ordered the Silver one for my 03 Silver CA SV650 and will post pictures and confirm what it comes with when it arrives. I should have it in about about 7 business days.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Aren't cali tanks just a little bit smaller? Couldn't anyone use these and just have a slightly smaller gas tank?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Aren't cali tanks just a little bit smaller? Couldn't anyone use these and just have a slightly smaller gas tank?
The difference is all in the filler neck depth where the E-33 extends down a bit deeper trying to create more of an air pocket at the top for the vapor recovery pickup. Of course, you have that extra pickup in the E-33 but if you're not using it the outlet can just be capped and everyone is happy.

If you want the extra 1/4 gallon capacity difference to be restored you have two options: One is to be patient and fill the neck, then watch as it settles, then fill again....repeat until the fuel level is to the top. This DOES take some time and a good feel on the filler nozzle trigger.

The second (and IMHO) better option is to drill a small hole in the upper portion of the neck which will then bleed out the air as you fill it up past the bottom of the extended neck. This works well and gets you back to the full 4.5 gallon capacity though now you must be aware of fuel expansion should you not immediately go out and burn off some of it. Fill then park...especially with engine hot will expand the fuel enough to push past the cap seal and you'll find fuel dripping from the drain hose/s...so only fill past the bottom of the neck when you actually need that extra capacity.

I almost always fill mine to the 4.5 gallon level just because if I try to extend the tank and would run out...that 1/4 gallon I could have had would have saved me up to 12 miles of pushing!:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts