Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks:

Here is the latest on the calendar.

First, however a request. In the words immortalized in 1956 by the one and only James Brown "please, please, please, please, oh, oh, oh, please, please, paalleeeeaase!" Don't Jack This Thread

Could we please keep this thread directly related to the calendar, it's production, etc. and not post additional pics to this thread. That should be done on SV Trophy Girl or Trophy Girl calendar. I'm having a hard time keeping track of things with the calendar, and I'm sure everyone else is as well.

I've gotten several quotes. The best seems to be $1,100 and change. However, they are so much less than the others, I think there is a need to make sure we are talking the same thing. The quote is based on 500 copies. Not that we need 500, but all the firms set that as the minimum they would do, or more correctly charge for.

There might be a better deal somewhere else in the country, but I'm not in a position to handle things if it is too far from where I'm located. Every printing firm I contacted (five) gave me the impression someone would need to be available.

I'm trying a couple of different things to gain sponsorship or advertising to help cover costs. No one has said yes, but no one had turned me down yet. Without that, we will have to pre-sell 110 copies to make it a go, or come up with some other arrangements.

We still need pics and there are a few ladies who are past due with promised pics. Please, if you are going to participate or have questions, please PM me. I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible with the answers and my e-mail account where the pic should be sent.

I still need to work out some things with the administrator, who I think has been busy with getting the new forum look down. He owes me a PM. I'll drop Rob another PM and if I don't hear back. I'll give him a call.

I'll be honest. This has become a bit more complicated than I expected. However, if everyone remains interest and is happy,  I'm more than willing to keep plugging away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Calendar Update II

I don't want to step on anybody's toes or anything, but if the printed calendar is too much of a hassle and gamble we could always make a downloadable version. The files (one file for each month) could be sized to 11" x 17" (standard for most calendars). The files could then be burned to disc by the individual and taken to Kinkos, or wherever, and printed at the individual's expense.
We could also make the files a smaller, more (home) printer friendly size.

Granted, neither option is as glamorous as a finished calendar delivered to your door. However, it would remove the burden and financial risk of one or a few individuals.

If the intent of the calendar is to raise funds for the svrider website then we could sell the files on disc. Or, better yet, to cut the addition of shipping charges, set up a PayPal account for the calendar and charge, say, $2 to either have the files e-mailed, or to get a password to a site where they could then be downloaded.

I'm a professional photographer and have done a few calendar projects in the past. I researched a lot of options last year when I was going to shoot a bikini/lingerie calendar for a local radio station. OldGuyOnBlu is right. The info he's gotten is right on with any printing company I've dealt with in the past.

The last I checked, Kinkos was charging about $10 to do a spiral-bound 12 month calendar. Some drugstore photo departments also do this service, as would small print shops.

Just my thoughts. Sorry to butt in on somebody else's idea.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Snarly:

Not a bad backup plan. And don't worry, you are not stepping on toes.

At this point, I'd like to continue to pursue an actual calendar if the interest remains high. We do need to hear some feed back on this.

Sponsorship could make a huge difference, and I still have high hopes.

So, how is the interest out there. Is everyone still willing to make a $10 preorder when we get down to it and how about the ladies. Are all of you going to get your pics in. You know who you are.

·
Registered
744 Posts

A list of received pictures might be a good idea.

·
Registered
622 Posts

I am still in for Four. ;D

·
Registered
48 Posts

Have them contact me about making calendars. They would need to provide me
a single point of contact, color or black & white, and a quantity estimate,
and I can go from there.
OldGuy...send [email protected] an email when u can.

·
Registered
482 Posts

I will check with our university printing as they are itching to get business in to pay for their .5 million dollar Heidleberg printing press. I'm pretty certain they'll charge somewhere in the neighborhood of 750-1000, but I haven't done a calendar in ages. (not a lot of research going on that demands color calendars ;D ).

I'll also check with a printing company I use for our duplication methods but will need the info as far as the calendar. Just trying to help where I can.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I'm up for buying one preprinted or taking a digital version to a printing shop for them to print it up for me. Either way I appreciate you guys hard work doing all this coordination.

THANKS!

·
Registered
21 Posts
J

·
0 Posts

Im still in for atleast 1. Keep up the good work oldguy. Just keep us updated on what is going on. Also i think posting the pics that will be used would get more people into placing orders.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts

Posting the pics will definitely help spur the interest level. I'm in for at least 2 at $10 per. I'd rather see something of decent quality though. I've seen some of the el cheapo ones done by photolabs and such and, unless they've improve their stuff in the last couple of years, they just look cheesy and lame.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Calendar Update II -- New Info 8/10

This is the latest update.

We had several suggestions on ways of doing the calendar that would not require preprinting.

Rob, our site administrator/owner, did some prospecting and found a promotional company he deals with that now offers a calendar product. Basically, they will print one at a time and handle the sales, shipping, etc. The down side is it will cost more -- $20 (well, actually $19.99) -- allowing for a small profit that will be used to support SVRider.com.

The other factor is I don't think any of us can vouch for how it will look compared to one from a full-run done by a printing company.

On the plus side, it makes this project relatively easily done.

We need to know if $20 is acceptable and if all of you think the quality will be acceptable, etc. . I'll try to post a poll on those issues.

Some of you asked about just producing a CD and letting you print your own calendars. At least two of the ladies expressed concerns about who would have their pics and control of them. I think it's important to honor their desire that they be limited to the calendar and not made generally available, which a CD would do. Yes, I know the calendar could be scanned, but it makes it harder. So. no CDs.

I'm having a hard time with some of the jpg filed as I try to save them. I'm sure I can get it sorted out, or more correctly my wife will (who, by the way, did not toss me out this week when I suggested I get a track bike).

We still need a couple of participants to send their pics. PM me for the e-mail address. If anyone has any questions they don't want public, also PM.

Thanks,
OGOB

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts

John thank you for putting so much work into doing this!! I am sure the finished product will look great.

Can you tell us whose pics you have received?

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts

Better yet - post 'em.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This is off the top of my head as I pretend to be working, but the pics we have are:

AlexJ
HartSplash
SVBunny
Shermans-Shazam
Acoustimate
PrettyEyes

I think I have two more, but can't recall who right now. I hope I got the list right. So, ladies, we still need your pics.

At some point when I have 12, I will try to put up thumbnails. I'm not much of a computer guy, so bear with me. I'm holding all the pics in an e-mail folder and will process at one time so they can go off to whoever will be doing the layout (probably Rob).

Guys, you won't get full size pics without springing for a calendar. I will tell you that the pics are great, the ladies hot and beautiful, as are the bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts

I am not sure that it makes sense to post the pics again - as wanting to see them will create sales.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts

AlexJ said:
I am not sure that it makes sense to post the pics again - as wanting to see them will create sales.
you need to put at least a teaser up. maybe some thumbnails or something

·
Registered
482 Posts

Does the girl have to operate the sv? Can she be the gf of the guy that owns the bike?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts