Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do when you see one sitting right next to you at a stoplight? How about on the streets?
This is directed more towards riders in states that have anti cell phone laws while driving.

I had one the other day where the guy thought handsfree meant speaker phone and was holding it with his right hand. I looked at him, made the phone sign, and then the hang up sign.

And on the streets if they are being a hindrance AND on their phones, I will give them a throttle blip as I pass them, if only to make them miss a sentence of their conversation. Time on the road needs to be spent paying attention to the road!

What about everyone else?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I try not to distract an already distracted driver...

However, if someone is on the phone in a public bathroom all bets are off. I will flush and flush and flush. :D

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Loud pipes annoy people.

Especially when they are on the phone.

So I bang it off the rev limiter and throw rocks at them when I'm next to them at stoplights.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I usually ignore them or pass them as to avoid succumbing to their stupidity and becoming one with their car instead of one with my bike. However, this is whenever I am riding and I notice it. If I am at a light that I know is long and see it, I like to sit and stare at them. Perhaps not the best idea, but fun to do. I like to watch them glance over at me and I know they are thinking "WTF does he want?" I'm sure some figure it out :).

·
Registered
842 Posts
...I looked at him, made the phone sign, and then the hang up sign...
I mainly do this to the drivers that are cruising slowly in the left lane, lacking enough attention to keep their speed up. Once traffic allows me to go around them (on the right, no matter how tempting the shoulder may be), I pull up beside them and just hang there til they look over. If there is enough traffic behind me coming up to pass as well, I will just pass, get in front of them (with some buffer space), make the hang up sign, then continue on my way.

Saw a rider last Friday on the other side of the highway passing a car that was in the left lane, looking back at the car and giving them the 'come along now' sign, shake his head, then drive off.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I just keep going. Staring ain't gonna help and that's time you're not paying attention to every one else.

If my pipes were loud I'd rev the sh1t out of it like a Harley. Hmm.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
381 Posts
The thing with doing the stare is that when you have a dark smoke shield you don't actually have to look at the person. You can look both at the light and the traffic behind you while keeping your head still and only moving your eyes. Kind of like the sunglasses to check out women trick ;)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
If we're moving? Downshift and get the heck outta there.

If we're stopped? Maybe the finger if they're super distracted.

Of course I mean the pinky finger.

Just start picking you nose and wipe your buguars (sp?) on their window. I'm sure that'll get their attention.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I really don't care. If they weren't talking on the phone they'd be distracted by something else - or even just day dreaming.

I simply pay a little more attention to them, and do what I can to distance myself from them.

I think it'll slowly phase itself out as cars come with blueteeth and all that jazz.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I really don't care. If they weren't talking on the phone they'd be distracted by something else - or even just day dreaming.

I simply pay a little more attention to them, and do what I can to distance myself from them.

I think it'll slowly phase itself out as cars come with blueteeth and all that jazz.
I doubt it. I don't recall where I heard this, I believe a prof at Penn State, but apparently they're starting to put internet computers into cars that can check your email...I don't understand how this would get past any safety standards but I've seen people do some stupid things.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I make the phone sign and hang up sign. But usually get the "Mind your own business" look. Then usually down the road they almost run me over while still on the phone.:facepalm:

If given the chance I try to take an alternate route. Else I just let them get a head of me as that is where they are safer. If one is behind me I gradually slow down and double or quadruple my following distance.

Personally I think talking on the phone should be treated on the same level as a DUII.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I doubt it. I don't recall where I heard this, I believe a prof at Penn State, but apparently they're starting to put internet computers into cars that can check your email...I don't understand how this would get past any safety standards but I've seen people do some stupid things.
I imagine it's part of the car's BCU interfacing with your phone or whatever to access e-mail and things like that. I'm 90% sure BMW's system is capable of it, at the very least.

And yes, the NHTSA is moving to regulate what car computers are capable of doing.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Loud pipes annoy people.

Especially when they are on the phone.

So I bang it off the rev limiter and throw rocks at them when I'm next to them at stoplights.
+1 though really- I have yelled at 3 people this year... I have no problem pulling up next to them and slapping the phone out of their hand if they do something really stupid that endangers me, my passenger or other drivers.

And I laid a good kick into a CRV's rear quarter panel (dent intended) for staring me in the eyes and then pulling the frack out on me and a friend while on his damn phone.... had both of us locked and sliding...

So yeah perhaps I rage a bit to much but people need to be reprimanded and made aware that they aren't paying attention.... if that guy had to pay even a dime for the weak dent i kicked into his car he should do so thinking about how he nearly killed/injured two people because of his negligence.

EDIT: these reactions are AFTER someone messes up- if i just see someone at a stop I likely would just stare at them behind the smoked visor like a creepy mofo :)

·
Banned
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
EDIT: these reactions are AFTER someone messes up- if i just see someone at a stop I likely would just stare at them behind the smoked visor like a creepy mofo :)
Yeah this was someone I noticed right after I pulled out from my street. So being so close to my house I felt he needed to be reminded, especially with a 6 and 11 year old across the street from me, whose father is a good friend.

What was interesting is that he stayed way back after the light turned green.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I don't do anything. I'm not a cop and I can't give the idiot a ticket so why bother? Just to make them angry and resentful?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts