Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if I'm just being anal, but do cable+chain lube do as good a job as the non dual-use products? (eg. cable lube and chain lube)

How is this stuff for cables? Good? What about for chains?

How about the stuff they use on bicycles?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You don't have to (and in fact can't) lubricate the internals of the chain. It's permanently greased, O-rings hold the grease in. Externally chain wax provides all the lubrication the side plates and rollers need. Cleaner, too.

Maxima makes a good chain wax.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't have to (and in fact can't) lubricate the internals of the chain. It's permanently greased, O-rings hold the grease in. Externally chain wax provides all the lubrication the side plates and rollers need. Cleaner, too.

Maxima makes a good chain wax.
What about the cables? Can't use chain wax for the cables, can I?

EDIT: I think I'm going to go with the bicycle stuff for the cable lube. The bicycle shop is much closer than the motorcycle shops.

BTW andyauger, do you think WD40 is vastly inferior to cable lube or basically the same crap?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I use Maxima Chain Guard and it works awesome, much better than PJ1 and a couple others I've tried. It doesn't fling much at all and it's easy to clean off anything it gets on, but it keeps the chain nice and waxed.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
only lube the pivots at the ends of the cables, the SV cables are teflon coated and lube only makes them wear faster

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I use Maxima Chain Guard and it works awesome, much better than PJ1 and a couple others I've tried. It doesn't fling much at all and it's easy to clean off anything it gets on, but it keeps the chain nice and waxed.
I just got a can of the Chain Guard stuff because the store I get my lube from no longer carries PJ1 blue label. I hope it works as well. The PJ1 was pretty darn good against fling.

Never used any for cable lube. It would be nice to hear someones experiences.:ears:

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
Just my 2 cents. Keep it simple, use one product. Get an o-ring safe chain lube and use it for both. Put it on your garage door rollers and squeaky doors too!

Modern o-ring chains like the SV's are virtually maintenance free. Whether it's lubing or cleaning, the most important thing with chain maintenance is not to damage the o-rings.

I've read that chain wax and WD40 don't provide as much shock cushion as a viscous lube, but I think anything that keeps the rust off is sufficient.

You probably already have on, but be sure to use one of those cable lube injectors that allow you to squirt lube in one end of the cable until you see it come out the other. They work gretat.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I just got a can of the Chain Guard stuff because the store I get my lube from no longer carries PJ1 blue label. I hope it works as well. The PJ1 was pretty darn good against fling.
I just thought the PJ1 was too thick. It gunked up my swingarm and inside the front sprocket cover pretty bad. It just acted like glue and picked up anything that came near it. The Maxima is much lighter and easier to clean off other parts but still keeps the chain looking great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use the Motorex racing chain lube. it works great, so long as you don't mind a white chain for a little while. :p

For cable lube, i either use Dupont Teflon lube or Cable Life (i think that's the name). I prefer to just keep the two lubes separate, it's not that expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts