Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals. I've searched several times and only find little bits and pieces here and there. I'm hoping we can create a a good thread full of accurate and helpful information from seasoned riders.

How to split lanes and how to do it properly. Surviving in LA.

I have been riding for four months now. I travel about 20 miles from Santa Monica down 10 to 110 to 101 and exit Rampart towards Silver Lake. Usually three out of five days in the week the entire thing is backed up and I split lanes all the way home. In a car it used to take me 3 sometimes 4 hours to go 20 miles. Main reason I got my bike.

Well here is my little bit of knowledge and experience on Lane Splitting.

1. I know its legal of course when done in a safe and appropriate manner.
Everyone has a different opinion about those two things but when a cop pulls you over it's his opinion that matters. I split lanes doing about 30MPH right now when traffic is stop and go at very slow speeds. I feel comfy and safer around that speed. I have to get out of the way for most other rider coming up my a**, you know who you are I've seen you!

2. 10 MPH rule. I asked an officer about lane splitting recently. He told me he personally uses the 10MPH rule. If the motorcycle splitting lanes is going over 10MPH faster than all the other traffic it's unsafe. It cuts down your reaction time drastically. Makes sense.

Now a question for everybody. Is it legal to split lanes on the highway connectors? Like the 10 to 110, there is a 3 lane connector.

Also is it legal to split lanes on the on and off ramps? I personally don't do it, does not feel safe. To many people changing lanes sometimes.

Share your knowledge, experiences and thoughts.

·
Registered
428 Posts
How to split lanes and how to do it properly.
One word: carefully

I don't really understand the reasoning for this thread, but I've been known to make some retarded threads myself.

Anyway, I would just say if you are going to do something dangerous/illegal (some places) then prepare for the consequences. (ie. ticket or wreck)

Ride within your limits

·
Registered
461 Posts
i would think the only lanes it would be safe to split would be the far left lanes where you don't have to worry so much about merging traffic and lanes ending.

and davis, in Cali it is perfectly legal to split lanes, as the OP said, sometimes the commute of just 20 miles can take 3-4 hours.

·
Registered
428 Posts
i know, babe.. that why i said "some states". im from Santa Barbara and lived in Grass Valley. Neither are LA, but you're preaching to the choir.

and yes. i called you babe

·
Registered
288 Posts
Alright. You can lane split on any road. You can do it on surface streets (up the middle at light) or you can do it on the highway. General rule of thumb is the 10 mph rule (it keeps thinks slow and manageable).

Me personally. I do the split/return/split/return. That is in top and go traffic, I'll split a few cars and duck back into one lane in front of a car and wait till I think it's appropriate to split some more.

Never trust the cars. Ever. Be overly careful, and assume they are all trying to kill you. If you see a safe opening jump on it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One word: carefully

I don't really understand the reasoning for this thread, but I've been known to make some retarded threads myself.

Anyway, I would just say if you are going to do something dangerous/illegal (some places) then prepare for the consequences. (ie. ticket or wreck)

Ride within your limits

Hi davis, I think it's good advise that you have to do it carefully and ride within your limits. But here in Cali it's not illegal and I'd say some people would argue that motorcyclist are safer splitting lanes in heavy stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lane splitting is ok. but riding on the shoulder when exiting/entering off/on ramps is illegal.
Yup, we all should know that. Solid white line or yellow line = no lane splitting. But how about a two lane off ramp from the highway. Can you split down the middle. I would not do it, does not seem safe, but is it legal?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright. You can lane split on any road. You can do it on surface streets (up the middle at light) or you can do it on the highway. General rule of thumb is the 10 mph rule (it keeps thinks slow and manageable).

Me personally. I do the split/return/split/return. That is in top and go traffic, I'll split a few cars and duck back into one lane in front of a car and wait till I think it's appropriate to split some more.

Never trust the cars. Ever. Be overly careful, and assume they are all trying to kill you. If you see a safe opening jump on it.
Good advise, that is how I have been doing it. Once traffic speeds up over 30 mph or so I get back in line.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry but I lane split at all speeds and I have no problem, I ride in a large group most of the time and we get noticed right away as most of us have very loud exhausts, had very few people jerk over but not to bad on the hwy, on surface streets is where we have people trying to block us and cut in front of us.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
2. 10 MPH rule. I asked an officer about lane splitting recently. He told me he personally uses the 10MPH rule. If the motorcycle splitting lanes is going over 10MPH faster than all the other traffic it's unsafe. It cuts down your reaction time drastically. Makes sense.
this guy probly doesnt even ride.

I was told by CHP bikers that they ride 15 over the flow of traffic, they dont really cut lanes, at least not like me.

the only person that will keep you safe is YOU

When splitting lanes i will go as much as 40 over(estimated, what the hell are you looking down for anyway)... at least for short blasts.. I mean, it takes like a single car length to slow to the pace of traffic and just as much to blast-off,

And also.. when 2 cars are next to eachother there is almost no chance of one of them trying to change lanes, so the only thing you need to watch for is spaces big enough for a car to take, and two cars pinching together in front of you

flame on

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. 15mph over the flow of traffic, that's not bad. Still give you good reaction time. Thanks for the rest of your advise jdewkilla. It's definitely true. I think someone already mentioned don't trust the car drivers. If there is pace for someone to change lanes assume they will do it.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
a few things...
as said above you can lane share(official CA DMV term for lane splitting) anywhere as long as you are in the lane, ie no crossing solid yellow, or douple yellows, i even split in the HOV lane and at traffice signals is the best, and like all are saying baove you gotta be aware of all the cars around you and especially ahead of you.
I have followed and observed several CHP motorcycle officers splitting lanes, and not at a slow speed by any means, if i find that i usually jump on behind them because people actually tend to see the big white bikes for some reason :mad:

taken from page 15 of CA DMV Motorcycle hand book

oh and i've gone up to around 85mph in almost stopped traffic ;) ...often

·
Registered
81 Posts
Luckily, most California drivers realize by now that motorcycles are going to split lanes like crazy, so more often then not they actually put at least a small amount of effort into looking in their mirrors before changing lanes.

Then again, you always have the idiots that do not take driving seriously at all, and just change lanes without looking, without a blinker and while talking on the cell phone, probably because they havent been in a major accident yet and don't realize they are driving 3,000lb's of moving death. Idiots..

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hehehe, nevenelestate. Splitting lanesa at 85mph seriously? Are you trying to get a strong squeeze from your girlfriend riding in the back or something?

Ok no, don't end the thread. How many of you have had a girl reach around and grab your junk while riding?

1 - 20 of 156 Posts