Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Arizona but with a CA bike. It's a 2003 SVS.

Recently, I've been having some running issues that I could not diagnose. The bike would intermittently run badly at low RPM, have trouble idling, and surge between 5-6k on a constant throttle. When this would happen, I'd always find gasoline on the ground next to the bike when it sat.

I removed my Power Commander (custom map), replaced spark plugs, ran fuel injector cleaner, and had a mechanic check for leaks (fuel tank replaced last year under Suzuki recall).

The mechanic noted that the front cylinder was nearly hydro-locked with gasoline, and he suspected a bad Power Commander. I tested the PC on my computer after the fact, and it looks to be fine, with no loss of my custom map.

After reading on here, it seems my EVAP system may be the culprit. I noticed a good amount of liquid fuel dripping out of the line that comes from the charcoal canister to the throttle body. As I understand, only vapor is supposed to come out of that? That could explain rich running issues.

Two options, as I see it:

1. I have a 49-state throttle body assembly from another project. Remove entire EVAP system and block off the outlet pipe from the fuel tank with JB weld or a clamped, blocked hose piece? Will this cause FI issues? Fuel tank overflow?

2. Replace valves associated with EVAP system and hope that fixes it. Approximately 50 bucks for both on Ron Ayers.

Please help! I just wanna ride my freaking bike mang!

·
Registered
799 Posts
if your problem is what I think it is throttle bodies have nothing to do with it. even if not tb's still have nothing to do with it.
here is what to do to test if I am right.
there is nipple coming out of tank right by fuel pump. take hose off and plug that nipple. just attach short hose with plug to that nipple. that should fix your problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts