Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever tried one on a car, truck, or motorcycle? I'm curious given how often we all do oil changes. Maybe the mod would make me feel comfortable going 5000 - 10,000miles on an oil change. My oil gets pretty black after about 800 miles. Judging from the lack of bubbles tho, it seems to still hold a pretty decent viscosity til around 3,000miles.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm confused why someone would want to do this in anything other than an emergency. Aren't you concerned about any foreign objects (metal shavings, etc) being pumped back into the cylinders?

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
No guys, he's talking about a bypass filter, not bypassing the filter. A bypass filter is an auxiliary filter that filters ALL the oil, not just a sampling.

There are diesel truck owners with bypass filters, that go way beyond the recommended change intervals because the oil stays so clean. I've heard of 60,000 miles or more on the same oil with no ill effects. At certain points, the oil is analyzed for metals, contaminants, and remaining additives package life.

Not sure I see the economy on a bike, though. The engines seem to last plenty long and most are not doing thousands of miles per week.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would think that, like the diesel guys, the issue of add pack depletion would be a serious concern. I am much more versed in car/truck engines than bike engines, but the additives are pretty darn important in my experience.

Good oil isn't THAT expensive considering the use we get out of it. I'm firmly in the "change it regularly" camp, and err on the side of TOO often. I try to save money on toilet paper and canned beans, but I prefer to change my oil and spend the extra $.

That all being said, the only way to know for sure how the oil is holding up is to submit a sample for analysis to somewhere like blackstone labs. I say install a bypass filter, change it at the regular interval and see what they say about the condition. Step it up from there with longer intervals and regular testing.

I'll keep changing mine...

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
You're still going to regularly do your tire pressure check, oil level check, chain slack adjustment, and other inspections/adjustments etc. etc. aren't you? Why not take 30 more seconds and change the oil while you're in there?

I see so many issues crop up with my customers' cars when they start skimping on oil changes. The most common is low tire pressure.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I see so many issues crop up with my customers' cars when they start skimping on oil changes. The most common is low tire pressure.
:roflmao:

Ya know what else happens when you chintz out on the oil changes? Crickets. Hundreds of them. Swarming all over the car. Do you have any idea how annoying it is to drive around in a car filled with crickets? :panic:

·
Registered
271 Posts
No guys, he's talking about a bypass filter, not bypassing the filter. A bypass filter is an auxiliary filter that filters ALL the oil, not just a sampling.

There are diesel truck owners with bypass filters, that go way beyond the recommended change intervals because the oil stays so clean. I've heard of 60,000 miles or more on the same oil with no ill effects. At certain points, the oil is analyzed for metals, contaminants, and remaining additives package life.

Not sure I see the economy on a bike, though. The engines seem to last plenty long and most are not doing thousands of miles per week.
Please explain how an extra filter filters "all" versus a "sample" of the oil. Doesn't the regular filter have all of the oil circulate through it?

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
What may make a difference in the discussion is that (most) motorcycles run the same oil through the engine and the transmission. They say that the transmission gears break down the oil at a faster rate than engine components. So - even if your oil stays clean, it won't have the long-chain molecular structure that's necessary to lubricate the engine. You're better off changing the oil.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I guess I learned something today, never knew about a bypass oil filter. I can't see that making any improvement on an SV though, just change the oil regularly.

As far as the oil turning black, all oils have detergents in them, so they turn black within a hundred miles usually. Unless you start seeing stuff in the oil or metal stuck to the magnet on your oil drain plug, then don't worry about it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
doing some research this morning, didn't know anything about an oil bypass filter. There appears to be two types: one completely bypasses the oil filter in place, uses a denser filter, and somehow doesn't loose as much pressure as the standard oil filter.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/by-pass-oil-filtration.php

The other type, adds a second filtration system in addition to the regular filter, that just bypasses a small part of the oil, and uses a much finer filter that even filters water out.
http://www.kleenoilusa.com/

I'm pretty sure all of the oil has to pass through the oil filter though, never heard of it only filtering some.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Filters don't remove the effects of blowby gases, which is one of the main reasons gasoline engines require more frequent changes than diesels. Nevermind diesel fuel is a lubricant on its own (otherwise the fuel injection pump would seize solid) and does a really dang good job of it.

You can't filter out acids, you can't filter out broken chain hydrocarbons from gasoline dilution.. Only physically replacing oil fixes that.

The only benefit I could possibly see is the addition of an extra pint or so of oil to the circulating volume, but if that causes the oil to stay too cool by chance... you're screwed and your oil gets full of water and gasoline anyway.

Nevermind there isn't actually an additive for carbon coking on hot piston rings with oil that's been through 10k of hell.

Oil is cheap.. if you feel bad about buying new oil, check out the NexGen stuff that's recycled.. if heavily used oil base blend is your thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts