Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im new to the forum and new to bikes. i got my license about 2 years ago but never had the time to buy a bike and im trying to see if i can make sv650 my first bike. i live in southern cali and ive been looking on craigslist and cycletrader.

since im not really into the scene im wondering ify ou guys can give me some price ranges i should be looking at that is a good deal.

for example are any of these a good deal:
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2005-SUZUKI-SV650S-94690689
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1063124762.html
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1047496189.html
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1039475495.html
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1050034160.html
(last on is a ninja)

what should i be looking for on listings?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
#1 Are scratches because it went down, or from use? If those tires aren't new, I'd talk it down to at least $4k due to old hard tires.
#2 how many miles
#3 too many miles for the price. Matte black paint job tells me the seller is lying and it has been crashed.
#4 "minor" scratches?? Even if minor, I'd offer no more than $3.2k
#5 no idea

·
Registered
288 Posts
If a bike's been repainted, it's most likely been dropped. Ask the seller if you can have a mechanic look at it. When people say "low miles" check the mileage. Pull up the NADA or KBB values on those year bikes. I bought my 06 from a dealer, and it had 7500 miles. I paid 5500. Yea, I paid a bit too much, but I have a 2 year warranty now, and the mechanics looked it over.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If a bike's been repainted, it's most likely been dropped. Ask the seller if you can have a mechanic look at it. When people say "low miles" check the mileage. Pull up the NADA or KBB values on those year bikes. I bought my 06 from a dealer, and it had 7500 miles. I paid 5500. Yea, I paid a bit too much, but I have a 2 year warranty now, and the mechanics looked it over.
+1 on the repainted bikes. I would never buy a repainted bike unless I know the previous owner and knew exactly what had happened to it, what repairs have been done, etc....There are just too many stupid people trying to rip other people off. Take someone with you to look at the bikes that has a decent amount of knowledge of bikes and knows what to look for. Or as stated before, take it to your mechanic. Good luck with the search!

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I'd buy #2... assuming the miles aren't too high, even full asking price isn't bad. I'd show up with cash and expect to walk away with it, hopefully for a little less.

·
Registered
358 Posts
#2 looks like it has GSXR mirrors, clip-on risers, and he stated it had a fender eliminator. Maybe you could get him down $5-600 and get a slip-on exhaust and it would be a great bike. Just my opinion.

#3 is missing right mirror, stock turn signal is missing, and exhaust damage looks bad STAY AWAY!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm thinking the mirrors on #2 are ebay mirrors. I have seen those for sale cheap on ebay before, so not sure of the quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well just an update I emailed all the sellers.

#1 wont lower the price. He's firm.
#2 has approx 8000 miles.
#3 my friend says has probably been dropped due to the paint

any change of opinion with that knowledge? and are any of these even good deals or should I wait? I am anxious to start but I don't want to overpay.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would say definately #2. The mileage is still pretty low and seems to be in the best shape. Maybe see if the guy will go down on the price a bit? It's still not a bad price but could be better.

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I've seen #2 personally...It was like 3-4 weeks ago....it doesn't look bad at all...but the whole plastic thing where the odometer goes ...(what is it call? panel?) was is broken and needs to be replaced. it's go some scratches on both sides, no that big...

The reason I didn't buy it was because he told me it didn't have any scratches at all then to found out it did have some. (didn't like that) and besides when we met up (I drove all way from the valley) he didn't have a license plate nor rear turn signals so there was no way for me to take it back (he said he heard some noise but didn't know what it was when he drove it there, supposed the license plate fell)

Maybe he fixed those problems, but he should go lower than that price....I think I was giving him 3500...tell him to send you more pics.

One last thing....Don't rush this...take your time and look around for bikes, it's better to wait and get a good deal and not rush and get fuvked.....

Check craigslist but in the san fernando area there's some good bikes around.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They're all good deals. Just make sure you deal locally. Don't get involved in sending money to anyone. Also take a mechanic with you to check the bike, you can never be too careful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts