Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been out of the motorcycle world for a while now...I sold my modded GS500e around 2004, but now I think it's time to dive back in!

Locally here I have found a 2005 SV650, with about 14k miles priced at $4000 negotiable.

Pretty decent condition, has been laid down at low speed with minor damage (has frame sliders). Small dent(s) on the gas tank. Otherwise looks to be in good shape.

guy is the 2nd owner.

What is a good starting offer for this bike, assuming everything runs as it should, and it isn't too torn up?

"Good tires, frame sliders, LED tail lights, fender eliminator, Two Brothers exhaust. "

Also, any advice of things to look for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
for comparison, i payed 4500 for mine back in the fall and its an '06 sv650 naked that had 2,000 miles on it and was excellent condition.

i would offer 3,000 and consider 3,500 a pretty good deal, just depending on the overall appearance of the bike and assuming everything was functioning properly. the classifieds on here will give you a good idea of prices and what people are asking for theirs. make sure to ask if bike has been properly maintained, mostly oil changes

·
Registered
794 Posts
I just bought an '05 SV650N about a month ago. At that time I didn't know too much about what to look for mechanically on these bikes other than the obvious; scrapes/dents, tire wear, chain wear, chain tension, whether the chain looks like it's been maintained, etc. Just this last week I noticed the left radiator mount bolt is headless. I haven't touched it, so suffice to say, had I noticed this before purchasing, I would have had the price knocked down the $40 or so that it's going to take to fix it. If I were looking at the bike you're looking at, I'd offer him $3500 and work from there. Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Pricing is entirely dependent on regional variations. I put my 2003 up for sale last year for $6000 and still got lots of interest. $4000 for a downed bike with 14k miles on it, "seems" a tad high.

Your best weapon is to see how much these bikes sell in your area and then show him what a "pristine" bike goes for and then show him the costs to replace the damaged parts and ask for that amount in discount. Honestly, I would offer $2000 and settle for $3000.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
All I can offer is that I have a 2005 SV650N for sale, 7k miles, some mods, never dropped or laid down, and I am asking $3500. $4000 for a bike that has been down seems high to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all of the advice, everyone.

I went to see the bike the other day, and aside from the damage it looks and sounds great. there are two small dents on the gas tank, each slightly bigger than a quarter, maybe 50 cent piece sized. Paint was not damaged. The right hand side frame slider is a bit squished from being down. a couple of small scratches on the bottom of the exhaust pipe, but not bad at all.

I offered 3300, but he would not go so low. We settled on $3500 after a bit of haggling. I am comfortable with this price, as I don't feel any of the damage is too bad. while not being pristine...it's still nice. besides, I won't feel too bad if I drop it now :p

I'm going to pick it up one day this week, soon as the financing comes through. I'll post some pics

·
Registered
317 Posts
Funny - this is almost exactly what I bought just a few weeks ago - 05 650N, about 15k, $4000. It was in really good shape, and came with a lot of sport/touring accessories that the previous owner had put on so I thought it was well worth it. This was in CT, where SVs don't seem to be for sale very often (especially nakeds). Book value when I went to the DMV to register it (and pay the sales tax) was about $4200. Hope this helps, good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts