Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm planing to upgrade stock rear shock on my 07 SV650, perhaps with a used GSXR shock or something of the like (new high performance shocks are little out of my budget). What kinds of things should I look for to determine possible damage or excessive wear? How would I know if a particular shock is too old and no good any more (assuming I can physically inspect it)?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have a ton of experience with this but I recently bought a GSXR shock off fleabay. What I would suggest is to look for the newest ones with the fewest miles. Also don't be too cheap about it. I payed about 15 bucks above the average asking price at the time because it appeared to be in better condition than the others... and I was right, it was a very nice shock.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Keep in mind that only certain years will fit...I just replaced my OEM one from my 1KS K5 to a K5 ZX-10r. Huge Improvement and drop-in replacement.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
GSXR shocks usually aren't the best choice (don't quote me on this) because they tend to change the ride height and are more of a pain to swap in. The zx636 zx10r and zx14r are usually the most popular that I've seen.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
GSXR shocks usually aren't the best choice (don't quote me on this) because they tend to change the ride height and are more of a pain to swap in. The zx636 zx10r and zx14r are usually the most popular that I've seen.
Correct, with few exceptions GSXR shocks are too short

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Yeah for some it might work but I'm next to 100% sure there is a thread that shows a matrix of the specs of the shocks and the spring rates and compatibility of the shocks for the SV.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I found the thread http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133882 with a link to a nicely formatted spreadsheet with details of various stock shocks.

My main concern is that when I am looking at a 4 year old used shock, for example, how can I check that it's still good? I figure these things don't last forever, but just how long are they designed to last? I read that for example, SV650 stock shock, as uninspiring as it is even when new, is expected to become badly worn after just 15,000 miles. Any idea how much life other shocks are expected to have?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Honestly, this is just me, I wouldn't give two ****s I'd just throw it on there regardless. I'm sure you could take it to the suspension man nearest you and he'll tell you the life it's got left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts