Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to race next season and I would like to have tire warmers, following my last crash on cold tires. Is it wise to look for a used generator to save a bit of money? Or am I liable to get something that will seize up within a few hours of use? How durable are these things, and do they have rebuild intervals? ???

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Ask about the true hours of use - if you hunt around you may find one that someone used just a couple times.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
They aren't tuned for output like a 600cc sportbike. They are generally overbuilt, understressed and well maintained. (At least by users who really need them.) Since businesses need to upgrade from time to time, it's not unreasonable to expect to get a good, well-maintained generator second hand.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. I managed to find an never-been-started 1000W unit for 100 bux.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Lol with all of the hurricanes down here it's nothing to snag up an $800 generator for $200 a week after the power is back on.

I've had mine for ohhhhh 8 years, and my dad had it for 7 before that, it's been used a pretty good bit and still cranks and runs first pull, I crank it about every 6 months or so and it runs no matter how bad the gas is hahaha.

I'd look for anything that does'nt have a honda or briggs engine, I'd go for something with a wisconsin or onan, or generac.... make sure it has a plastic tank too, just like anything else you can tell what kinda shape its in by looking at the oil and listening to it run.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Can't you buy used and rebuild the engine?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Nothing wrong with buying used as long as it's a name brand. Beware of the semi-recent flood of imported stuff sold at prices so low it seems too good to be true.

An example of what I mean:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/200566966/best_two_stroke_1000w_generator.html

Models like that can be found new in the $150 to $175 price range. You'll also find models like that in dumpsters everywhere after several hours of use.:p

And I need to know too.....stay away from Honda or Briggs? Huh? What????

Check your local Craigslist and garage sale ads. Have the seller demo it for you. And if you find a sweet deal on one that doesn't work, send it to me and I'll fix it.;)

For use on something non-critical like tire warmers or power tools, you don't need anything fancy. If you'll use it occasionally during power outages to run your late model electronically controlled furnace to keep the house cozy, then you want to step up to a model with better voltage regulation. Before I bought one of my own, I borrowed a family member's to run my furnace during a storm. I fired it up and with the engine running at a dead-steady speed, the output fluctuated between 95-135 volts. Electronic stuff no likey gensets like that.....

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I rented one to start building my first house. I asked about the rental rate and what would be their selling price. I got them to agree if I exceeded the selling price, I could just own it. After a couple (3?) weeks, it was mine, and it served me well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts