Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a SV650 and I'm trying to decide if I should spend a little more and get one of the new ones or save some money and get a naked gen 2.

Option 1: wait however long it takes for a used gen 2 to show up for sale in my area, buy it, and sell my current 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom next spring when I can likely get the most money for it.

Option 2: trade my Vulcan in at the dealership and buy the brand new 2018 SV650 ABS they still have on the showroom floor on manager special for $5500.

I'm not usually one to buy a brand new bike or car, but if the deal is right I might be interested. The dealer has a brand new 2018 model with ABS that is currently marked down on manager special for just over $5500. It's the last 2018 model they have at the dealership and they are looking to get rid of it. Does anyone have any experience buying a brand new bike like this? I'm wondering how much more I can get them to drop the price. What does everything think is a good price for a brand new 2018 model when it's almost 2020?

But is it worth it to buy the new model vs picking up a used gen 2? I really like the way both bikes look, and since it's November I won't be doing any riding for a while even if I get a bike now. So I guess I can afford to wait until I find a gen 2 for sale.

Any input is definitely appreciated. I guess my main questions are should I get the brand new 2018 bike vs finding a much cheaper gen 2? And if so, what's the best price you think I could get from a dealer who's looking to get rid of their last 2018 bike on the floor?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can't offer any guidance on the prices as I'm in the UK. But earlier this year I moved from a 2006 Gen 2 (an S model with the half-fairing) to a 2017 Gen 3. The move was forced on me because I crashed the Gen 2 and totalled it.

I loved the Gen 2 and had zero plans to replace it, but quite simply, the Gen 3 is the better bike in every department. The engine is stronger and smoother and gets much better gas mileage, handling is more nimble, and having the ABS is useful.

My 2017 wasn't brand-new but it was the dealer's demonstrater bike, so it had 1,500 miles on it. It was pretty close to brand-new.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome to the forum amedsker!

You’re asking a lot of good questions here and thinking this through at least makes it more likely you’ll make a better decision.

So my questions to you would be as follows:

Have you ridden either the Gen 2 or 3 SV? Obviously you currently have a bike, a Kawasaki Vulcan I think you said, so it’s more a matter of asking a) if the SV fits you in terms of ergonomics, riding style, etc b) if so then which Gen of SV do you like better, and c) what is the used bike market like in your area?

I’ve owned both a Gen 2 and now I have a Gen 3, which by the way, I bought as a leftover new model (a ’17 bought in ’18) at a discount. The Gen 3 bike is better for sure but not radically so. Remember Suzuki these days is basically a parts bin company so the basic design of the SV hasn’t undergone some big change or transformation. What they have done though is make most things better, more functional, more updated, and the package is well put together. You’ll laugh but the one big exception is the factory tool kit which flat out sucks now compared to the Gen 1 & 2 kits –suzuki is hardly alone in this so it’s par for the course.

I will say the one area there’s little improvement in is what has always been this bikes Achilles hell and that’s the suspension and brakes. Mind you, for everyday street riding, which is what the vast majority of us do, then the brakes/suspension are fine. If you want to push the bike, do lots of track days, or just generally ride harder then an upgrade is worthwhile and there are 9 million threads on how to do that so I’ll skip it here.

The used bike market in your area also matters. Where I live prices are stupidly high because there’s so little competition so the savings from being used are much less so than in busier areas where sellers have to be more competitive. So in a busier area you’re likely to see better prices on a Gen 2.

Regarding prices on a new leftover bike, the longer it sits in that showroom the more willing the dealer will be willing to well, deal. It all depends on how bad you want it and how long you are willing to hold out though even then the dealer is going to want to sell for more than less. I think an OTD (that means including all fees, taxes, titles, etc) of less than $6k on this bike is a good deal. Crazy you say? Well consider back when those Gen 2 SV’s were brand new in say 2007 or 2008, the MSRP was roughly $6000-6600 depending on whether you got ABS. Now just imagine 10+ years later you can get the same bike, only better, for less money? How is that not an amazing deal?

With all that said, getting a bike that’s 10+ years newer, meets all the latest and greatest emissions laws (you may think it is silly but the govt. agencies and their ilk are slowly cracking down on us and other internal combustion engine vehicles), comes with a nice warranty, is untouched, and reasonably priced, I would go with the new SV. Other than the somewhat large exhaust, the new bike to me looks better than the pointy Gen 2 and it’s a nicer overall experience.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses! To answer your questions, I have not ridden either the gen 2 or gen 3. I've actually never ridden a SV in general. That being said, I have sat on one and I did like the way it feels. I've have had a few different bikes and the SV is the bike that I've always wanted since I started riding. I'm looking for something that will mainly be used for city commuting but will also be used for some day and maybe weekend touring trips. The bike market in my area is pretty good as I'm in a pretty big city but I would likely have to wait until Spring to find one. But.... I might be moving to a much smaller city with a much smaller market before Spring. I really like the looks of both generations and feel that the stock configuration will suit my needs. My main reason for not simply jumping on the brand new bike is that I'm just not willing to spend $6k on a bike even if that is a great deal. If I can talk them down to the right out the door price than I'll get it.

I guess I could also wait until a used gen 3 becomes available. I've seen at least one 2017 model within a few hours of me with around 2k miles listed for $4,000

·
Registered
183 Posts
$5500 for a new, modern bike with a full warranty is a pretty good deal (the best I’ve seen here in the UK is about £5200 (I suppose a bit over $6000, but sales taxes are different here)).

If that still seems a bit more than you want to spend on a bike then look around for a 1-2 year old generation 3 bike. Generally you should be able to save about 25% against the new price, so perhaps $4000, and it should have a bit of manufacturer’s warranty (or maybe a dealer warranty) with it.

I think a third generation bike would suit your needs well, be cheap to run as well as be safer and more reliable than an older bike. I enjoy my K6 SV650S but I’m not sure I’d recommend a 13 year old bike to a new rider.

Good fortune,

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought a 2019 SV 650 (no ABS) for $5725 in August. That price includes freight, but not taxes and all the fees they charge. I traded in an '08 Concours 14, talked them down another hundred bucks and ended up owing them $3060.00 out the door. At the time I bought mine they listed $1150 in rebates/discount on the worksheet. It sounds like you're getting a decent price but they may be able to do better. All you have to do is ask. The worst thing that can happen is they say "no."

·
Registered
50 Posts
With the current discounts available, the new bike is an outstanding deal. Have got my new 2019 a week ago. 350 miles later I still feel like it's a steal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
At $5500 before I might be inclined to buy new.

Very inclined.

You can sell your other bike at your leisure.

Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
btw: I paid $3500 for my 1999 Blue SV650 naked in 2003 when it had $1800 miles.

So, $5500 new is a phenomenal deal given currency differences.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a naked 2005 650, for $5500 actually. I am kind of an old git and had never had a new bike.
I also spent 35+ years in sales of various products including motorcycles. Do what feels good to you. Go with your gut. I will omit an old saying about opinions. What ever you do people will tell you that you paid too much or should have done it differently.

If it makes you feel good that is more important than someones opinion (which is probably wrong).
Do what you want to do. Long ago I realized how much I value others opinions (not Much)

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
My default position is always to buy used. People are going through some rough times right now, CV-19 isn't going away and a vaccine is most optimistically 18 months out. With the service economy essentially shut down, how do you think the motorcycle market is going to look after 18 months of 17% unemployment? No one knows how long any of this is going to last, but it's important to remember that over 80,000 of our countrymen have died in the past 8 weeks, and that there has never, ever been a vaccine developed in 18 months. All I'm saying, is that now is a good time be conservative with discretionary income. There's most likely going to be a buyer's market in used motorcycles for the foreseeable future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts