Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found what I thought was a reasonably priced painter.

Checked out some pics of his work, looks decent.

His shop: Out of his garage, no clean room, no tables to put parts on, dust everywhere. But seemed to know what he's talking about.

Half the money down, gave him parts. 4 days later he calls me and says to pick up the parts.

When I get their to inspect the parts... I see lots of orange peel, lots of dirt in the clear (3-4 specs per square foot.) He said he didn't want to sand the parts before they were on the bike because they're flimsy, and to bring the bike back later and he'll sand out the dirt. So I give him the other half of the money and take the parts home.

I get home... mock up the parts... discover a 6" long, 1/4" wide sag of clear on the right side of the tank (which was not fully cured yet)...

Long story short, he says to bring back all the parts, he'll fix up the tank. But he'll need to redo the other parts to because he wont' be able to match the tank to it otherwise.

Does this sound fair? Am I being too unreasonable to expect the paint to be perfect when he gets it to me? I really didn't feel like bringing the bike back to him to get polished. He said it would only take 15 minutes to do... with all that dirt in the clear coat I would have been close to 2 hours if I was doing it myself...

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
So I found what I thought was a reasonably priced painter.

Checked out some pics of his work, looks decent.

His shop: Out of his garage, no clean room, no tables to put parts on, dust everywhere. But seemed to know what he's talking about.

Half the money down, gave him parts. 4 days later he calls me and says to pick up the parts.

When I get their to inspect the parts... I see lots of orange peel, lots of dirt in the clear (3-4 specs per square foot.) He said he didn't want to sand the parts before they were on the bike because they're flimsy, and to bring the bike back later and he'll sand out the dirt. So I give him the other half of the money and take the parts home.

I get home... mock up the parts... discover a 6" long, 1/4" wide sag of clear on the right side of the tank (which was not fully cured yet)...

Long story short, he says to bring back all the parts, he'll fix up the tank. But he'll need to redo the other parts to because he wont' be able to match the tank to it otherwise.

Does this sound fair? Am I being too unreasonable to expect the paint to be perfect when he gets it to me? I really didn't feel like bringing the bike back to him to get polished. He said it would only take 15 minutes to do... with all that dirt in the clear coat I would have been close to 2 hours if I was doing it myself...
He is playing you. Go ask him to redo it. Though, it would also depend on the money you paid. If you pay "macco" price you going to get a "macco" paint job. (it's where us Yanks go for cheap 1-2day paint.)

EDIT: My bad, I thought you were a hockey fan and ate thick-assed chewy bacon.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He made it sound like he's fixing the tank AND respraying the rest of the bodywork to match.

So yes, he is redoing it. It doesn't sound like he has much work right now so he needs good word of mouth. I'm taking all the parts back to him tomorrow. Hopefully this time he'll take his time and do things right.

The paint itself looks great. His prep work and work space... not so great. If he had a simple clean room I bet there wouldn't be nearly as much dirt in the paint as there is.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Just tell him you can get him business if he does a good job. Say you have friends that build bikes and want show quality paint. ;)

Trust man.... it works. Plus he mickey moused your paint job the first time, so he owes you.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I say it depends on how much you paid and what he promised you.

I've seen some of the slickest paint in the world come out of tin sheds with dirt floors so I would'nt judge based on the guys work space, paint booths are'nt cheap and probably not worth it for someone if it's their part time gig they do in the yard.

·
Banned
39 Posts
ya prolly best to bs the guy an tell him you have more work comin his way if he does a good job. I can kinda relate to that because of the nature of buisness i'm in (flooring, construction, remodeling) an with that being said it usually means i'll take extra special care to do the job right (not that it wouldn't be otherwise but its all in the details)

if he says he's gona redo it then let him do it, tell em exactly what you want. If he doesn't deliver this time. Then cut your loses an take it to a pro. That's part of the reason people pay top dollar is partly because of the guarantee if your not happy that the company will satisfy you.

an there's no reason for you to not expect perfection, sure a few specs in the paint is a normal mishap, if it buffs out the your golden. If not then this guys a shmuck an don't deserve to own a paint gun.

From what i've seen most motorcycle parts should be painted from a hanging position, so not having a table or w/e that is understandable.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Ain't no BS. There are plenty of guys here that want "show quality" paint. They just ain't going to be taking it to him for the paint. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,091 Posts
Give him a shot at fixing it the way he wants. Let him know what you expect.

A major sag and lots of dirt in the clear are signs of a beginner or a sloppy "pro".

You are correct in wanting it fixed. I would expect it to take him more than 15 min though.

You may have to be persistent to get a good job from him, even on the redo.

Post some photos and let us know how it worked out.

Jay

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Give him a shot at fixing it the way he wants. Let him know what you expect.

A major sag and lots of dirt in the clear are signs of a beginner or a sloppy "pro".

You are correct in wanting it fixed. I would expect it to take him more than 15 min though.

You may have to be persistent to get a good job from him, even on the redo.

Post some photos and let us know how it worked out.

Jay
In other words.... bug the crap outta him.;D

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is no reason all the parts should need to be repainted if he has to do 1 part over again. If he can't get a sag out of his paint job without breaking through the clear than it must be one hell of a run.:rolleyes:

Give him the part with the run and tell him to make it right, he shouldn't have given it to you in that condition. I can't believe someone would ship the parts just because the run in the clear wasn't cured enough to remove it.

My .002. I've been a professional automotive refinisher for 9 years and would never do that to a customer, whether it was at the shop I work or side work out of my own garage.

·
Registered
132 Posts
dirt will buff out, and the run should come out too if its just the clear. Let him fix it and see the final product. If your still not happy with it, then take steps to get satisfation.

and don't tell him you have more work coming or you'll send tons of work later, blah blah bhal. I work in a bodyshop and hear it ALLLLLL the time from people, he'll smell your BS a mile away.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
dirt will buff out, and the run should come out too if its just the clear. Let him fix it and see the final product. If your still not happy with it, then take steps to get satisfation.

and don't tell him you have more work coming or you'll send tons of work later, blah blah bhal. I work in a bodyshop and hear it ALLLLLL the time from people, he'll smell your BS a mile away.
The key is to be convincing.;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts