Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 1st gen with a set of busa pistons and the 2nd gen intake cam mod. I also ripped out all the exhaust baffles from the exhaust system and slapped on a slip on (so it's basically a full system). i went up 2 main jet sizes from the previous tune per my mechanic's instructions and it seems to be about right. my bike now sounds SUPER strong with no airbox on it, but sounds pretty weak with the airbox back in it with the OEM air filter. so i know the bike wants more air to match the higher compression, hotter cams and more gas, but how much more?

1) desnorkel stock air filter
2) some other filter?
3) air pods?

what are the guys with motor work running for air intake?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
The BMC race filter has worked fine for my bike, but I'm switching to pod filters soon. (I have a 2mm over set of pistons and the cam swap.)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Pods... but they are attached to a set of Keihen 41's. ;D

When I was running the stock carbs, I really liked the stock filters desnorkled. But after awhile they get expensive to change out. So I would have pulled the trigger on a K&N (desnorkled as well) so I could clean it at my will, but the Keihen's came up at a price I couldn't resist.

But remember, if you desnorkle, you'll have to bump up your mains. I was running 160F/162.5R with a desnorkled stock filter and cam swap. I didn't do the Busa piston's..but they are calling my name.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
so i have a 1st gen with a set of busa pistons and the 2nd gen intake cam mod. I also ripped out all the exhaust baffles from the exhaust system and slapped on a slip on (so it's basically a full system). i went up 2 main jet sizes from the previous tune per my mechanic's instructions and it seems to be about right. my bike now sounds SUPER strong with no airbox on it, but sounds pretty weak with the airbox back in it with the OEM air filter. so i know the bike wants more air to match the higher compression, hotter cams and more gas, but how much more?

1) desnorkel stock air filter
2) some other filter?
3) air pods?

what are the guys with motor work running for air intake?
You're basing your tuning on how the bike sounds??

The compression increase from the Busa pistons is very small, and compression changes don't generally change airflow very much anyway. The cams and the exhaust do have an effect, but a desnokled stock filter or the BMC/K&N race filters will flow plenty of air.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rich, yeah it was an attempt to get a decent starting point before riding or dyno testing. i am just about out of time now so i'm gonna de-snorkel the filter and try that. if it wants more air i will go to pods.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
rich, yeah it was an attempt to get a decent starting point before riding or dyno testing. i am just about out of time now so i'm gonna de-snorkel the filter and try that. if it wants more air i will go to pods.
That should be fine. Airboxes are good things, I wouldn't go to pods unless the motor was a lot more heavily modded than yours is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts