Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am not a fan of burnouts and have only done one or two ever. My question is: is doing a burnout bad for the bike in any way? I am about to go grab a new set of tires and it just seems a shame to throw out my existing ones with so much rubber left on them. But I dont wanna decrease the life of my engine by doing this. So if I burn off whats left of my tires do I risk damaging my bike?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Not unless you somehow let go of the brake and let it shoot out from under ya. It'll probably get hot and you'll get rubber everywhere but if you do it right and don't slip the clutch, it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
53 Posts
think about your question. There is very little stress on the engine except rpm. It's probably under more stress going up hill at 45 mph.

however your old tire has a different perspective I'm sure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm a noob so I probably won't be doing any burnouts in the near future, but what does it mean to ranger the clutch? Also, I've seen on tv shows featuring bikes where they pull their bike up to a wall and basically do the same steps as listed above (pull in clutch... smell smoke) except they are against a wall which would obviously take the pressure off the brakes but there would be a constant force agains the forks, which probably isn't good either.

I'm kinda new to bikes, but with a manual car (ex. a 1968 Super Bee owned by my mother) its basically as easy as push clutch, push gas, dump clutch, push brake... it wouldn't be all that different with a bike would it? Of course with the car there is 400hp putting pressure on the front brakes instead of 70...

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
ranger (a memeber on here) wound up burning out her clutch when trying to do a burnout (and will probbably kill me for bringing it up again ;D )

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
It won't hurt the bike.

But think of how big of a tool you'll be when it gets away from you and demo's itself while you watch!

Just make sure when you do it, someone is on the video cam....I wanna see it on youtube.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Oh, make sure you got a clear trail behind you, and whoever films you is smart enough to take pictures/video UPWIND (my old roommate wasn't very bright). Also, I might suggest spraying your undertail with teflon and covering up your rear shock. The rubber bits get everywhere. I was shooting rubber a good 20 feet behind me.

·
Registered
683 Posts
only thing it'll hurt is the treadlife of the tire TS. Bearing in mind that you do it right.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
only thing it'll hurt is the treadlife of the tire TS. Bearing in mind that you do it right.
Always have a video camera rolling for when it is NOT done right. You will be famous!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts