Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what you guys used to protect your fairing from the heat of the header/mid pipe on the fairing. My lower sits pretty much on the header and I don't want it to burn through. I've searched my local auto parts for the insulated alum. adhesive tape, but no one has it. should i use a higher grade material like floor and tunnel shield or will the 2" adhesive tape work fine.

see options here.
http://www.daymotorsports.com/vendor/62/

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've used the heat shielding on other bikes (Moose makes a cheap option with a few tiles for MX), but I always just planned on doing a lot of reglassing... Maybe the shielding in conjunction with the wrap would work, but on my SV I've got almost no room for it, the lower sits so close.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of doing the dubble rubber approach. wrap the header and use insulated tape on the fairing. But the floor and heat shield looks like it would do the trick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
honestly, you'll probably burn through the heat shielding every weekend. Mine would not only burn through, but the fiberglass behind it would melt also. So, unless you can do the double approach, don't bother with just something on the glass, it won't hold up.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
joe said:
honestly, you'll probably burn through the heat shielding every weekend. Mine would not only burn through, but the fiberglass behind it would melt also. So, unless you can do the double approach, don't bother with just something on the glass, it won't hold up.
Damn how hot does that header get? The aluminum shielding says its Capable of handling temperatures up to 1750 degrees.

Guess i better try to lower my fairings if i can.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GP Composite bodywork w/ M4 headers. I think i'm gonna wrap the headers and get the hi temp heat shielding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I cut a hole in the fairing plus put insulating tape from JEG's. Using Sharkskinz and M4. No problems. hole is above the lowest edge of the fairing in the rear so it does not effect it's ability to retain fluids.

·
Registered
64 Posts
MrStinky said:
GP Composite bodywork w/ M4 headers. I think i'm gonna wrap the headers and get the hi temp heat shielding.
I have an M4 with Hotbodies with the same problem. I wrapped the headers and put heat reflective shield on the fairing. It didn't matter, it still burns through.

·
Registered
19 Posts
like I said, just expect it to melt. Cover it with a sticker, re-glass it everytime, or better yet, cut it and reglass in a new more curved piece.

Or, do like me and act suprised everytime someone in the tech line points it out!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had this problem as well, I solved it by adding another mounting braket to push the body work out a abit then lined the inside with some heat sheilding.

·
Registered
480 Posts
i just wrapped the exhaust and it stopped burning through. you do have to check the wrap from time to time, because it can eventually burn through the wrap.

S

·
0 Posts
ya burn through sucks but tucker rocky has some asbestoes heat shield tape stuff. seems to be working.

T

·
0 Posts
My mechanic put an asbestos shield on the mid pipe side and I have no probs.

·
Registered
606 Posts
We put something on the wrap to create a stand off. Usually a 12 or 14 mm nut does the trick. Safety wire it to the pipe outside the wrap and between the heat tape. This creates a space for air to pull the heat away and stop the burning. For long term fix, I'd tack weld a nut in place or make a special bracket to creat space. Most auto stores have fiberglass muffler wrap and any MX shop can get heat tile. Good luck

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DucOwner said:
We put something on the wrap to create a stand off. Usually a 12 or 14 mm nut does the trick. Safety wire it to the pipe outside the wrap and between the heat tape. This creates a space for air to pull the heat away and stop the burning. For long term fix, I'd tack weld a nut in place or make a special bracket to creat space.  Most auto stores have fiberglass muffler wrap and any MX shop can get heat tile. Good luck
That's nut idea is a good one, just need to pick up my header wrap and i'll be set. I found the adhesive heat shield at my local shop - made by Moose 2x2 sheet for $20.

·
Registered
514 Posts
MrStinky said:
Yeah. I have a problem with my M4 headers too. They are quite a bit bigger than the stock headers, and also seem to stick out more too. I used a 1/2" spacer and longer bolts between the lower moutning points on my body work to get it off the mid pipe. I still melted it a little bit, but I havn't had a problem sense.

Can you snap a few pictures, how bad is it?

Mine was sitting right on the pipe with no spacers, now with some tweaking I have about 3/4" of room, and no more melting.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was able to move the fairing down a bit to give more clearance -- it's not so tight now. I have a bracket to install to keep the fairing off the mid pipe and it acutally also moves the fairing away from the header - plus plus

I just need to wrap the header and hope the Moose heat shield holds up well along w/ ducowners nut on the header trick.

Hard to see from the photos, but looks ok now

·
Registered
23 Posts
joe said:
I've used the heat shielding on other bikes (Moose makes a cheap option with a few tiles for MX), but I always just planned on doing a lot of reglassing...  Maybe the shielding in conjunction with the wrap would work, but on my SV I've got almost no room for it, the lower sits so close.
It still got through mine...damn does things get really hot!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts