Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the other day my oil was alarmingly low (a little below the min) and it seemed way too dark. I topped off the oil to the max fill line, and a few days later, the oil level seems to be getting a little lower already. I did a compression test, and both cylinders are about 200 PSI cold. What can cause the bike to burn oil but not affect the compression? I haven't seen any signs of oil leaking anywhere.

·
Registered
106 Posts
what I meant by blue in the exhaust is the color of the exhaust gas. if you are burning oil in your cylinders and its enough that your oil level is dropping quickly, you would see a blueish smoke emitting from the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd start by checking for leaks then, use some brake clean to wash off any residue or oil under the bike, run it and check the obvious places. make sure the drain plug and filter are tight

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd ride it and just keep an eye on it, each time you garage it, check it for peace of mind. but if its not leaking out and its not burning out the exhaust, I can't imagine your losing much oil. keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Whats the present mileage on the motor? How many miles on the oil since last change? What sort of riding temperament do you have?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
For some reason, my bike begins to use oil near the end of it's oil change interval. As the oil gets older, it burns more of it.

I usually have to put about 3/10ths of a quart in between oil chagnes.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Synth? The only Dino (patroleum based) rotella certified JASO/MA (also, ive never seen 5w-40) is 15w-40.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been about 1-2k miles since I changed the oil. About 2 track days. I do mostly commuting and some track days. Spark plugs are dry. I'll have to change the oil before my next track day (9/2). I feel a lot more confident my bike is safe for the track. Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts